OT - old stamps for new?

Oddly enough all three local towns to me have well maintained free public loos in at least one place, though other places have lapsed.

And many retail outlets maintain toilets for customer use.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Although I can find that claim on various third party news websites I cannot find it stated on the Royal Mail website. What am I missing?

vs Royal Mail still shows 31/1/23 as the deadline

which still say that the 31/1/2023 deadline stands.

Reply to
Martin Brown

But here you *aren't* communicating with a regionally local peer group. And that's what I said. For wide area networking (sic!) you need standard protocols agreed by all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's the same word, there's no difference except in the way you choose to say it. Typically you'd say "penny ha'penny" or "three ha'pence" for 1-1/2 d but "tuppence ha'penny" for 2-1/2 d, so even mixing the two forms in the same phrase, Then there's the phrase "tuppenny ha'penny" so you could say that either way too. During the introduction of decimal coinage there was a tendency to call new penny amounts "pee" to distinguish from the old pennies, but I don't think we ever said "dee" for the old ones. "New pennies" and "old pennies" (and speaking slowly) were used when explaining to confused old folk.

Reply to
Rob Morley

There is a certain amount of use of "x pence", but sadly this sometimes includes the case of x = 1. :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Reading some of the press reports, it seems the extra 6 months to July

31st 2023 is described by 'Royal Mail' as a, quote; 'Grace Period', so yet again it's another example of legacy GPO era mind set mealy mouthed  attitudes.
Reply to
Mark Carver

I think I have clearly analysed the usage of 'penny' versus 'pence to define 'penny as the adjectival form of 'pence'

I.e. It's called a tuppeny f*ck because it only costs tuppence

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message <tlnn9m$l8kt$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

Well you must have led an extremely sheltered life!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message <tlnpq8$leth$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid writes

Very sheltered life indeed!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

On the continent you don't spend a penny, you euronate

Reply to
gareth evans

Not nearly as narrow as you it seems

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes your safe space snoflake echochamber is. Lets hope it doesnt collapse

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you haven't got a ha'penny a *farthing* will do. If you haven't got a farthing then...

Reply to
Max Demian

I suppose they may have been pure copper at one time, but I only remember the bronze ones (copper, tin and, I think, a little zinc).

From 1992 they were steel with a layer of something coppery on top.

Reply to
Max Demian

It used to be that first class stamps had two phosphor bands and second class, and the supplemental stamps had one, so it should have been all right. Or you could try two supplemental stamps to save money.

Reply to
Max Demian

With any luck the 1p and 2p will be scrapped. The Swiss, for example, have not had a coin less than five centimes since at least the 1960s. Thus, the Swiss Franc is actually split into 20 smaller units. So much for whoever, earlier, was bleating about that during their youth, they found the idea of how the £ was then subdivided, to be odd.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And public transport in most jurisdictions now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Ans quite a bit of ungrammatical common useage is just because it is more convenient with the meaning still very obvious.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But not with some classic technically incorrect but still obvious like the classic less/fewer etc

Reply to
Rod Speed

A 10p now is worth less than a 1p was in 1972 according to the Bank of England inflation calculator. We could lose the 5p too.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris