Kilz primer.. how old is old?

How long would you keep un used latex primer or paint? I have some Kilz and some custom mixed paint.. that's 16 months old.. Thinking of using just enough for a "test strip" first.. after reading someone else's problem of not drying.... But normally... how old is old? Chuck (in SC)

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

If it didnt freeze and brushes out ok it should be fine

Reply to
ransley

Hasn't been exposed to low temps.. It's kept in the heated / cooled part of my house.. Two cans of Kilz and one can of paint havn't been opened since mixing..

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

The fact that they haven't been opened is good...less space for stuff to build up. However, you may want to take them in to a store and get them shaken by machine to mix them up properly again.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Mix'em good with a paddle or electric mixer and paint, paimt, paint, to your hearts content. All should go as expected.

Reply to
Jack

IME if the can is well sealed latex will last far longer than 16 months. If the paint looks OK after stirring, no lumps, not skinned over, etc. it should be OK. If you have can that's never been opened since it was purchased it is almost certain to be OK. as long as in the case of the custom mix, the lid was sealed properly at the store.

Reply to
Larry W

Thanks guys.. now for the painting.... Chuck (in SC)

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

Surely...

I've used some old oil paint a primer that Dad bought when the local farmers' Co-op retail store was closed sometime in the 80s. It's now been on the shop for about four years and no discernible difference between its performance vis a vis the brand new that went on the barn.

--

Reply to
dpb