Slightly flaking leather office chair

I have a very comfortable office chair puchased from Costco a few years ago.

I've just noticed the leather on one corner of one arm has some flaking of the tpop surface. Has anyone found a solution when faced with this?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

The arms are often fairly generic. When the arms on mine disintegrated, I got new ones cheaply from (I think) Chair Doctor.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I would guess th 'leather' chair bought from Costco is actually covered in reconstituted leather or worse 'Artificial leather, also called synthetic leather, is a material intended to substitute for leather in upholstery, clothing, footwear, and other uses where a leather-like finish is desired but the actual material is cost prohibitive or unsuitable. Artificial leather is known under many names, including leatherette, imitation leather, faux leather, vegan leather, PU leather, and pleather' Thank you Wiki

Reply to
fred

You could try a leather dressing it will soften leather if it is hardening

Reply to
rick

Bonded leather

quote Lower-quality materials may suffer flaking of the surface material in as little as a few years /quote

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m

My "leather" chair appears to have a thin layer of vinyl on top, which mostly came off during lockdown when I was using it a lot.

The seat appears to be polishing up as if it is real leather.

I just put up with the suede effect. I can't replace it; it was bought with the last birthday money my father gave me before he died.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Very possible to re upholster with real leather....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher