Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Liming
Why not use emulsion. Apply then wipe off. NT http://tinyurl.com/bpx543h

Another heating wont turn off question
Hi, My heating has developed a problem where it wont turn off while there is de= mand for hot water. The hot water is timed to come on from 6am to 9am, ready for the morning sh= owers. The heating is...
1
1

Insulating Floor Slab?
We've a roughly 8mx12m detached early '80s house. It is retrofitted with cavity wall insulation, modern high performance double glazing, and c 300mm loft insulation (except for some sloping roof that...
10
10

Rawlplug Uno - what length screws to use?
Been using normal rawlplugs for decades, usually using screws a bit shorter than the overall length, but I picked up some Unos a while ago, maybe from Screwfix to top up an order when they had...
3
3

Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?
The mother-in-law's house had CR Smith plastic windows installed about 23 years ago (before her time). The various oddments of wood that remain were painted a matching brown which now, after all that...
7
7

Chimney flashing slipped
Okay, this is not *my* DIY, but I would like to just be knowledgeable enough to argue the case with the roofer - if it comes to that. I'd be grateful for any of the usual sage-like advice of this...
14
14

The naming of pipes
We have a Victorian flat, and the grey waste exits through some iron pipework under the floor. There are two pipes running nearly parallel, one above the other (about 5.5m long). I presume the upper...
20
20

Nitrate removal from potable water
I've just bought a house in Scotland with its own well and the nitrate level is 70 ppm, above the 50 ppm approved level. Anyone have suggestions for systems to make the supply legal?
15
15

Trades people on the fiddle
Quote Paying a plumber cash in hand is "morally wrong" because it denies the revenue vital funds, a Treasury minister said as the government outlined new ways of cutting down on £5bn in tax...
122
122

For inf: DCLG response to Select Cttee on Part P changes
I have belatedly seen that DCLG published earlier this month their response to the report from the Select Committee which adopted the "no price is too high" approach to safety and the Building Regs....
21
21

sharpen mower cassette
Anyone know if it is possible have a lawnmover "cassette" sharpened? Or does it have to be replaced? It's an old mower I found abandond in the shed when we took over an allotment plot. I got it...
10
10

Cutting glassfibre
I need to cut the glassfibre bodywork on my recently acquired "7" style track car (*). What's the best way of going about this neatly and safely? Dremel? Fine hacksaw? Jigsaw with fine blade in it?...
9
9

How long does underlay last?
Does underlay degrade quite quickly, or is it good for the life of several carpets? I have seen it suggested that underlay could last as much as 25 years. Lifting carpets to gain access to electrics...
15
15

Dodgy plaster and cornices
In article , GMM writes John's advice matches my own experience, patches of top coat will 'blow' off leaving a crumbly undercoat underneath but that can be stabilised with dilute pva and filled level...
8
8

Oven thermostat - always on?
Sometime ago our oven thermostat gave up the ghost. So a fun Friday morning (it really was) was spent replacing it. SWMBO was very happy as now the bread came out brown instead of black etc. But...
4
4