Cutting glassfibre

I need to cut the glassfibre bodywork on my recently acquired "7" style track car (*). What's the best way of going about this neatly and safely? Dremel? Fine hacksaw? Jigsaw with fine blade in it? All of the above?

(* In order to install the roll cage.)

Reply to
Huge

If it's holes .. then a blunt holesaw is best.

I jest not, a used and not new holesaw will cut fiberglass better.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Any fine toothed saw. Which will blunt quite quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As suggested above but if you can source a diamond tipped one and take your time the holes will be near perfect.

Reply to
Nthkentman

the pro way is with a vibrating diamond edged dremel thingie. It doesn't rotate, just rocks back and forwards so it wont cut skin - just rigid stuff.

but a fine saw and a file does a fair job. WEAR A MASK. the dust is very nasty.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For round holes a very fine holesaw with a really slow rotational speed (cordless drill is ideal) If drilling on flat surfaces backing with wood or similar is a good idea

Multimaster with carbide blade is good for other than purely round openings

Carbide file and lots of water to trim to final size

Reply to
The Other Mike

ITYM multi-tool.

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Angle grinder. (No really) Anything that abrades rather than cuts. Hacksaw teeth etc catch the fibres and drag them out. etc Don't allow to overheat.

Reply to
harryagain

But is near impossible to make an accurate cut with, unlike a fine toothed blade.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

100mm grinder with diamond edged disk is pretty accurate.
Reply to
harryagain