replacing a plain flat roof section with some fancy glassfibre stuff

Hi all,

Our house has a flat roof section (so called 'cold roof') running between two conventional diagonal gradient tiled roofs. It's 1.2m wide by 6.0m long and is currently covered in roofing felt (with the green shingly stuff). Anyway, it's getting a bit tired so I got some quotes to replace it. Bad news is, seems it's not up to code these days and the roofers want to replace it with some fancy 'Polyroof System' to make it more efficient. But they've quoted me £5,720 + VAT to do it. That seems a heck of a lot. I'll never get my money back on heating saved before I die!

So... does the price seem about right, or am I getting shafted?

tia.

Reply to
Chris

you may as well put in lots of insulation when its open.

I've learnt to DIY this stuff from Firest> Hi all,

Reply to
George Miles

The stuff they're trying to flog me is already insulated. It says here from their estimate and I quote:

"The flat roof area between the two pitched roofs will be replaced by Polyroof Protec system. The existing roof will be stripped back to the rafter line, reinstated with new Polyroof approved 18mm board, vapour control layer, 120mm rigid insulation and Protec fibreglass system on top." Supposedly guaranteed 20 years which is a lot longer than I'll live if I have to pay £5,700 for them to fit 1.2m x 6m of the stuff.

Reply to
Chris

Try a local general builder.

Replacing a flat roof is not rocket science and they will all have done it.

That price looks far too high, IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

What a piss take. DIY.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We saw and spoke about some fibreglass roofing system at one of the ideal home exhibition this year as we may need to get a car port repaired. Without the guy seeing it he gave a ballpark sum of £100/sq m for replacing a car port roof, he did point out that it would be more for habitable areas as you may have to include extra insulation but it cant be that much more.

Although there is not date on it this page more or less supports that sort of price point

Chris B

Thanks, Chris!

Reply to
Chris