Subject Author Posted Replies

2 of the 5 lights in my chandelier have stopped working?
Any idea why this might happen? yes, I have tried changing the bulbs! All 5 did work, then one gave up now a second one has given up the ghost! Any suggestions appreciated. Well, there will be one...
9 years ago 6

Hot water cylinder position
Hi I'm plumbing in a rayburn solid fuel range in our renovated farmhouse which is "1.5 story" high. Instead of having the cylinder directly underneath the exp and feed tanks, in the centre of the...
9 years ago 3

1/2" OD push fit T -where?
I'm trying to buy from an on-line source an 1/2" push fit T rated for around 15 bar and I can't seem to find one - anyone? Mains pressure is often a lot higher than 3 bar. Try 10 bar. Harry also never...
9 years ago 7

How not to install fence panels
per in the picture. I am not sure how he is going to get his panels to fit. Easy ... Perhaps the same way as the ones fitted across the road? Doubtful, he has bought some six foot fence panels and was...
9 years ago 52

[OT] Car battery on continuous charge
What's the consensus of opinion on whether it's OK to leave a car battery on continuous (float) charge? Wikipedia says 'batteries kept on continuous float charge will have corrosion in the electrodes...
9 years ago 16

Suitable timber for diy-ing a fence?
HI Folks Following the recent gales, the fence/windbreak is looking a little ragged! It consists of post & triple-rail timber, to which we added some split-bamboo-on-a-roll (as a temporary measure)....
9 years ago 2

Unfinished Cabit Doors
Hi I have a project remodeling a wooden living room display unit, someone absolutley mucked the bottom doors up by screwing 3 brass handles as decoration plus painted big black oblongs over it. The...
9 years ago 2

Cost of re=pointing?
How much ahould I expect to pay for a builder to rake out and re-point a brick wall, priced either by the square yard/metre or by the day? By the day about =A3130 labour only, not including material...
9 years ago 8

birds nests inside soffits
Following advice from this thread... put some extra vents from soffit level straight into the loft space. While cutting into the soffits, I've found birds nests! It seems the cheeky beggars have...
9 years ago 11

Circuit diagram software recommendations?
Hello, I am looking for a simple application (Windows 7) for generating electronic/electrical circuit diagrams. I have a copy of Visio 2007 but this is overkill for what I want to achieve, and frankly...
9 years ago 23

OT - How to drink responsibly :-)
In message , dave writes
9 years ago 1

What wood you do?
Hello, A tree blew over and I've been chainsawing it up. I noticed it seems to have some attractive heartwood. 'm not much of a carpenter and while most of the tree, I think it was a Lime, will be...
9 years ago 43

Never again....
... will I prime & paint the perforated MDF screen on a radiator cover with a brush! What a PITA. I thought of spraying it, but was too much of a cheapskate to pay out for the aerosols. :-( Only thing...
9 years ago 3

Floor tiles 'popped'!
HI All We have largeish (12") floor tiles in the sunroom. There was always one by the outside door that 'clicked' when you stood on it (didn't more enough to actually see - but just to hear) After...
9 years ago 17

cost of LPG gas comparison
On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard piped gas. For example if my current gas bill for the year is £700 (piped gas mains) What would an equivelent in LPG cost....
9 years ago 19