Rather OT.. how to date an antiquity?

Item in question is bronze, we think. Perhaps Asian in design. Depicts a 4 armed figure standing upon a small person (child, perhaps) and a serpent. To the right and left of the figure are two smaller females. Can put a couple of pics on photobucket if of any interest. Has been in my wifes family since 1874 (documented) and perhaps long before that. Family tradition is that it gets passed down to the closest female relative. We do not want to part with the item but would like to find out what it might be. What's the best way of doing so. Please. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

British Museum

Reply to
Eric

Photograph it with an indication of size, from different angles and any interesting markings and send to Sotherbys or such with a general enquiry as to what it is.

Reply to
Ericp

IME, the big London auction houses are totally disinterested in anything worth less than 5 figures. You'd be better off with your local auction house.

Reply to
Huge

Manasa?

Reply to
Onetap

Limited experience of Sotherbys (except that someone secretly sold a four figure family heirloom there, rather to my annoyance as I would have happily matched the price).

But can definitely recommend local auction houses for their expertise and, in the case of the one I use at Wotton Under Edge, integrity.

Reply to
newshound

Google ....

Reply to
Mr Pounder

When is Antiques Roadshow next in your area?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Wifey and I were thinking of going there soon for a look.

Are they a decent saleroom?

Reply to
Ericp

Hope it's not part of the loot from the Summer Palace and the Chinese don't demand it back.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ask Adam? He's dated about everything. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)