Subject Author Posted Replies

FIRE PLACE/ BEAM
Customer wants me to make one of these to a bespoke size. problem making it, but thinking of the best way to fix it to the wall - securely Some of these use the 'floating shelf' principle, but I'm not...
9 years ago 10

tips on cleaning old parquet floor
Has anyone got any tips for cleaning an old parquet floor? Only want to get it fairly clean as the recent buyers of the house intend to have major work done next year. They just want to make it...
9 years ago 11

PC Problem
My old home assembled desktop has a problem - it won't boot. Two errors shown - something about CMOS checksum and NTLDR missing. It wants to take me to the RAID setup - but I don't have one. I can get...
9 years ago 24

radiator next to friedge freezer
There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of it is a radiator. Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it to upset it thermostat or...
9 years ago 16

Never damage asbestos tiles.
Asbestos was widely used till there are chances that it contains asbestos.But it is not dangerous unless you try to rip them out and particles become call a professional agency to cover these visit...
9 years ago 8

Resistance of gas valve solenoid
Bit of a head-scratcher today. Couple of days ago I was called to look at a newish Ferroli boiler[1] (DOMIcompact F24D) which seemed to have its gas valve packed up: went through normal start-up...
9 years ago 14

Well done John Rumm
A couple of weeks ago I posted about a tripping MCB (). John suggested that it could be a fault where the 100m of cable was acting like an aerial causing the MCB to trip. I replaced the MCB and it's...
9 years ago 30

Railway sleeper sizes
Replacing a bridge over a stream at the back of the house. Ordered 20 'railway crossing timbers' in oak creosoted, 3M long by 280mm wide by 150mm thick having discussed my needs with the chap...
9 years ago 12

Many thanks to the group - Fugi advice
A couple of weeks ago or so there was a discussion on the group about the Fugi sealant-finishing tool. Against the day that SWMBO's ensuite shower needed re-sealing, I ordered a Fugi via eBay, which...
9 years ago 7

Idea for a cheap simple wet UFH layout & control system?
I wonder if anyone can advise me on some questions that I cannot find mentioned anywhere on the web for an simple wet UFH project. I have just laid a 7-loop underfloor heating pipe system in my (very...
9 years ago 1

OT: Laptop problems ...
rather foolishly, I left my Packard Bell Easynote SJ51 on for a few days, plugged into AC power. Came down yesterday, and it was dead. Turning it on causes the lights to flash, the fan to spin, but...
9 years ago 14

OT:- How Long Should I Wait ?
Sorry for posting this here chaps, but have posted it on uk.legal and but xcan't find it or any replies. Last year I sold a laptop computer and because the person lived a few miles away, I agreed to...
9 years ago 13

Re-Roofing a log store
Next to our miniature garden shed is a log store erected by the previous owners of our house. A simple wooden frame butted up to the back of a garage supporting a simple roof sloping away from the the...
9 years ago 14

DC or AC supply
I've been given a CCTV camera that has two terminals for the power in. It says DC12V AC24V Does that mean that it will run with DC or AC? I'd like to run it on 12V DC. If it had a half wave rectifier...
9 years ago 4

Juddering Wipers
Hi all What to do to stop car windscreen wipers juddering and squeaking? (Mazda 6 54 plate) If I replace them, they are quiet and effective for a month or so then the problem returns. Looks like...
9 years ago 37