Tile faced bricks (ramble)

I was watching Corrie tonight and a scene showed a court building - it was an area that was built of white tile faced bricks. It got me thinking - at one time they were so common - used in Public Toilets, Schools, Railway and Tube Stations, Public Buildings, etc.

I can't think of any modern building material that is so robust or practical. They may not be fashionable now - but I wonder if they could still be cost effective - they are both structural and cosmetic, easy to clean, colour fast, robust, etc.

Does anyone know the time period when these were so heavily used?

Are they still made?

Did many manufacturers make them?

Etc.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Andy Burns

Andy Burns wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Fascinating. I now realise I have seen them in more modern applications.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

They are really hard to lay and look good. Probably why you don't see them much.

Reply to
harry

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

It must say something about the old skills then - when you see soemthing like an old Tube station, the brickwork with these glazed bricks is top class and they have stood the test of time.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

However, personally, I have never understood why folk want to achieve that look in a domestic kitchen or bathroom.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Probably gone out of fashion because people don't want the look of a 100-year old neglected municipal baths. But still outstanding quality for 100 years ago.

Onetap

Are we still talking about glazed bricks, or ARW's latest exploits with the scout mistress.

Reply to
Gazz

Probably easier to use standard bricks and tile over them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Onetap wrote in news:b6a0c580-58ad-4338-935f- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

...and Roy Cropper (Corrie) makes an appearance!

Perhaps the buildings that featured these tiles all have some strong associations wit my childhood! The quality was good though.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

100-year old neglected municipal baths. But still outstanding quality for 100 years ago.

Not seen the clip in case that matters ! Brick effect tiles are currently in fashion (metro or subway tiles) - see posh house magazines. I've just done such tiling in kitchen between worktop and wall cabinets, with grey grout. In my opinion it looks timeless. The kitchen before renovation had similar tiles in the 20s or 30s style, so I was sort of replicating what was there before. See also American movies where bathrooms are always done in this type of style which lends it a bit of coolness in the UK. It might be a bit much for an entire room though. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson