Boiler in bathroom

Hi all,

I'm thinking of having a combi put into a purpose-built cupboard in a (pretty small) bathroom. It would be on an external wall, so no flueing problems. Could there be any other problems with this plan, especially electrical?

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

No.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The supply to the boiler would need to be RCD protected and its cpc may have to be incorporated into the bathrooms existing supplementary bonding (if the existing bathroom electrics are to the 16th edition).

But you are correct Dave - there is no problem (or more importantly, no problem if the electrical installation is done properly) .

Reply to
ARW

I have a boiler in the bathroom, but it's not in a cupboard. It's positioned in what was called Zone 3 at the time, but is now outside the Zones in the current regs as Zone 3 no longer exists. It is on a dedicated 10mA RCBO (although RCD protection wasn't required back when I installed it, I was more concerned about any internal leak tripping it off before too much damage was done). It is supplementary bonded as per the then current 16th Edition regs.

Check the combi installation instructions for the cupboard requirements. It will give the minimum cupboard size and clearances required on all sides, and number/size/position of ventilation openings required. I would suggest designing the cupboard as a rigid frame which can be unscrewed and lifted clear for boiler servicing. It can be much harder to work on a boiler which only has the minimum clearances all around it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My Viessmann runs so cold the airing cupboard it is in is near useless. ;-) The previous BF boiler not only kept that hot, but the bathroom too.

But it is good advice to make sure there is plenty room for servicing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, the Keston has to be on for quite a while before it gets warm, and I doubt there's even 50W given off. The internal design effectively takes the heat which leaks from the heat exchanger into the boiler casing, and uses it to pre-warm the air going to the burner, so it goes back into the heat exchanger. I don't think it required any ventilation if you built a cupboard around it, but some do (for heat dissipation, not for air supply for the burner, as they're all sealed systems nowadays).

It's miles away from my airing cupboard. I did consider putting a small radiator in the airing cupboard or making the shelves from a row of 22mm or 28mm copper pipes connected to the heating circuit (which wouldn't have been a silly cost back then), but instead I use a dehumidifier in it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel