Reducing static.

In my bedroom I seem to have developed a sudden increase in static electricity. Ie I only need to sit on the bed for a couple of minutes and the next large conductive mass I touch gives a spark up to 1 inch in lenght and it is quite painful. Its worst with thicker trousers and the 'furry' throw on the bed though. I have slightly reduced it with a container of water and a sponge on a radiator, but its really getting me down now. It never used to happen. I was wondering if its some subtle change in the stuff one washes the clothes in or something. Any ideas on combating the issue?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

__ ___________________________________

It is the reduced humidity in the air due to the cold weather causes this to suddenly appear. If you can devise some means of humidifying the air in your house it will alleviate the problem. Eg hang wet towels on a radiator.

Reply to
harry

Our physics teacher used to reserve all the static electricity experiments for icy winter days, it made them more dramatic due to low humidity.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, but we have had winters before, and this never happened then. The only change has been to turn a box room into an indoor drying room with lines, so its weather independent. It has an oil filled background heater in there. I noticed no difference after hanging damp clothes in there except a slight bit of condensation on the metal window frames.

It seems not to happen downstairs, but it can happen in cars from time to time. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If the furry throw is like mine (I think polyester), that could be the prime cause. I don't have a problem as you describe, but when I shake it out, the static is very obvious.

I do have a very old ioniser, not sure if it does anything at all, but one might help.

The other possibility that springs to my mind is you. Several diseases increase static for one reason or another. The one I know about is hypothyroidism, at least when treatment is non-optimal, which seems to result in greater apparent sensitivity to static.

If you have any other possible signs or symptoms, ask your GP for a thyroid test.

Reply to
polygonum

As others have said, lower humidity due to cold weather will be a factor. One thing that may help is using moisturising cream on your hands (or your whole body if you really want the best effect), as dry skin accentuates the problem.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Chances are you're now wearing clothes with man made fibres. Pure cotton and wool doesn't make static. And the furnishings in a room, like carpets, etc. The low humidity cause by central heating makes things worse too.

If it's caused just by walking across a room, first try changing your shoes to leather soled ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Use some/more/different fabric softener.

Also using those fabric softener sheets that go in the clothes dryer will help.

Both reduce "static cling", a wardrobe malfunction. There may be dedicated laundry sprays that also combat "static cling".

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The effect of this is that you have removed the source of moisture from wherever it was that you were drying the clothes previously.

I suggest that you increase the humidity in your bedroom before trying any other fixes.

Reply to
GB

maybe that polyester throw is drier than usual or you have changed washing powders and its not no longer covered with a thin layer of something conductive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you sure you're not doing anythting to charge yourself up such as rubbing up against anything during these cold winter/spring nights ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

wool does.

Reply to
charles

+1. Laying a wet bath towel on the rad will help if you don't want to invest in a humidifier. Not good health wise to be living sub 40% relative humidity.
Reply to
stuart noble

Never found it to. Sure it's not a mixture?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just pour a jug of water over the carpet. :)

Reply to
GB

Making sure there are no junction boxes underfloor or another type of electric shock might be experienced.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Discoverd it long before artificial fabrics became the norm. And, in any case, the ancient Greeks 'discovered' static electricity and I don't think man--made fibres were around then.

Reply to
charles

Silk most certainly does - isn't rubbing silk on amber the absolute classic?

Reply to
polygonum

Current weather: the cold air is very dry, and will have even less relative humidity when warmed indoors.

Reply to
djc

Okay, I should have said sprinkle.

Reply to