My telephone line (one of three) has plenty of static in it
(which comes and goes even during a phone call, but mostly
it just comes and stays). I know it is inside the house as
when I test it at the outside box it is clear and crisp.
Have disconnected all the phones, modems, etc. and then
plugged them in and tested one by one. Still static. Wiring
in this old house is a real rats nest. Expect I will have to
'rewire' the house. Any ideas on the static first?
If it's an old house like mine, here's a thought. We have a ceramic
gizmo at the beginning of the telephone inside wiring which is/was, I
think, a lightning arrestor of some sort. It has a center round thing
which can be unscrewed and a piece (or two) of carbon with a narrow gap
to ground. The phone lines connect to this, with another wire running
to ground. (Ok, this is all by memory, and it has been a long time
since I looked at it.)
Years ago a phone person solved our static problem by gently filing
the carbon to clean the gap.
It is not likely that you have a wiring problem, even though you may
have lots of old wiring. On the other hand, if the wiring is wet, if
you have bad connections, or if you have some wires touching, that might
give you some trouble -- but those are not likely things.
Paul Oman wrote:
Phil Munro Dept of Electrical & Computer Engin
mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org Youngstown State University
The static problem at my house happened during wet rainy weather and
disappeared during droughts. The fix was to replace the line from
the pole to the house where a tree limb had rubbed off the
waterproof coating, thus allowing water into the wires and making
Phil Munro wrote:
Loose connection, or, more likely, slight short circuit caused by
moisture, especially if it affects all the phones on that line. Try
isolating the wire causing the trouble. If you have a volt-ohm meter,
the good wires should show near infinite resistance. A 10Kohm scale is
best for looking at this type of trouble. Many times this type of
static is caused by corrosion at a jack or cord end - look for dark
spots between the pins of the jack/cord. Also common in an older home
is a wire cut off at one end during painting remodeling, but still
tied into the working lines; corrosion forms on the cut end, where the
conductors are close together. This is worth the time it takes to find
and fix, eventually the line will short out completely - cutting off
incoming calls and then no dial tone at all.
Let us know what you find!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.