I've had intermittent static on the upstairs phone line for years. I don't
use these phones very often. One reason being is that they are very
annoying. I installed the lines myself. Maybe that is part of the problem.
Finally, after all these years I'm looking to rectify the problem. I'm not
sure where to begin. Part of the problem could be that I have DSL
service... although I'm don't think that is the entire problem because the
phones downstairs don't have any static. The computers actually share a
jack with two phones downstairs.
I'm looking at various options...if you could think of something else please
let me know.
1. I thought I would unscrew the wire connections in each of the jacks and
try to re-attach more cleanly.
If that didn't cure the problem then, I would
2. Re-wire the whole upstairs. This would be quite a chore as I have to
run the wires from the cellar. Lots of stapling involved and running wires
through walls. I'd buy new jacks too. Who knows where the problem is
3. I guess I could try to get new filters from Verizon. That may be a wise
first choice. Maybe the newer filters are better.
I have a feeling I am picking up radio interference from somewhere. Maybe
one of the staples penetrated the wires and now the wire picks up a signal
from some place outside the house. Can't say for sure... it's just a guess.
I've tried to see if there is a correlation to computer use or hairdryers,
etc. Doesn't seem to be any.
Is there anyway of testing the lines to find out where the static might be