How much paint for a gate?

How do you work out the area of a gate for purchasing paint? Guess?

Metal, railings type thing.

mogga

It looks like square section bars... so measure the width and length, and multiply by each other, then times by 4, then times by the number of railings (28 in this case), do a similar sum for the posts, and finally add say 25% margin for the fact you have lots of edges and corners where you will use a bit more paint.

Failing that, buy a 250ml tin and see how it goes ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes they're square sections... I spose if we buy a tin (£18 compared to about £30) and start on one gate ... if we need to fetch another tin we can leave that til another day and have one done.

Reply to
mogga

Get them sand blasted and powder coated and you won't need to worry about painting them again.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

How much is that likely to cost and would they be away overnight?

(I assume there's not a spray van that comes and does them on site...)

Reply to
mogga

When I had my garden table and four chairs done, it cost me about £40, but that has to have been at least 20 years ago. This list suggests that it would probably cost quite a lot more now:

As it needs an oven to cure the coating, it is not something that can be done on site.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks!

I've just rung a local company whose quote man isn't in for a week! :)

Reply to
mogga