Subject Author Posted Replies

lap joint box joint pliers
Hi all whats the difference initial google pics look the same for both Regards "TMC" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying: About halfway down this page... "Box Joint Versus Lap Joint...
9 years ago 2

combi boiler pressure dropped
gone bitter today (2C) so heating was up, and I started feeling chilly. Rads were cold but stat was up. Checked boiler (in case timer was out) and discovered pressure was 0. I opened the valve and put...
9 years ago 5

Black and Decker Workmate - still with dangerously sharp edges?
I've had my B&D workmate for nigh on 25 years and it has given marvellous service. However, it ain't the safest thing to have around. I was reminded the other day when I brushed past it in the garage...
9 years ago 56

Electronic Ballast for T5 Tubes
I have a mirror illuminated by 2 T5 tubes and one has failed. But it's not the tube, it appears to be the ballast Landlite EB-28, made in China. Can't find a replacement anywhere - well serves me...
9 years ago 6

Recommendations sought for really cheap power drill
I already have a "posh", heavy-duty impact drill, but I need a small drill for using around the house on small jobs. I had one I bought from Focus when it was Payless, an own brand. It lasted 8 years,...
9 years ago 14

Car ramps
Since I want to work on the underneath of my car, I'd like to put it up on ramps. I imagine the newsgroup readers will disapprove of me digging a pit in my garage floor. That would fill with water...
9 years ago 45

HVLP Sprayers
Thinking about getting one of these > used one? In article , The 'airless' types, rubbish. I have an Apollo HVLP set (uses a blower) and that's pretty good. The fan unit is also very useful for drying...
9 years ago 13

Soil pipe into cast iron collar
Hello, I have a plastic soil pipe from the upstairs bathroom that goes into a cast iron collar and then a length of cast iron pipe that goes into the ground. The plastic soil pipe has been "sealed"...
9 years ago 4

Replacing linked mains-powered smoke detectors
A friend has asked me to help solve a problem with linked smoke detectors in a small office, which was converted from a cowshed in the late 90s. When the detectors are turned-on they immediately...
9 years ago 13

Fence Painting
Hi All, I've got a stretch of fence to paint in the spring and was thinking of investing in a sprayer, are they any good? Can you use any make of fence paint in them or are the ones that are...
9 years ago 8

Fence design
I'm fast becoming bored with having to trim ~40 metres of hedge each year and am thinking of going back to a fence. However, the fence would need to stand up to quite strong winds and I'm concerned...
9 years ago 14

OT Health and Safety
commencement of a nodding aquaintance a contract must be drawn up -to ensure both parties honour their obligations to nod and smile... years down the line people change, one day one person nods and...
9 years ago

Credit where credit is due
Some of you may recall I had a wee problem with the hoses supplied with a Smiths kick space heater leaking a few weeks back. Well I sent them an estimate of the cost to re-treat the system with Fernox...
9 years ago

Secondary Heat exchanger Replacement and draining system?
I have to replace the secondary heat exchanger again in My heatline S30 boiler again!!. Does anybody know if I need to drain the system down or do I just need to turn off the water supply. It would...
9 years ago 4

Running two instant heaters together?
Hello! I have (almost) acquired two 9.5KW "Redring Powerstream" unvented instant water heaters that have previously been tripping out. I am guessing they are going to be scaled up, so will try and...
9 years ago 15