Subject Author Posted Replies

Sandstone porch
I have a large quantity of sandstone that was once part of a Victorian church. For transportation it was cut into irregular blocks a cubic foot upwards in size. I'm thinking of using some of it to...
9 years ago 3

central heating
where did you hear of/get your central heating system from? (next thing to consider options on.....) -- In message , Gill Smith writes I D-i-Y'ed it boiler was given to me free So, what are you asking...
9 years ago 28

fitting bathroom where kitchen was.
Hi since the extensions finished the old kitchen is redundant SWMBO wants a downstairs WC, as its big enough I was going to stick in a shower too at the same time - the only query I have is theres a...
9 years ago 20

Decorating after artex...
Decorating after artex... What can I say, the previous owners in the 70's decided that artex was the way to go. Consequently, every wall and ceiling in our house is covered with the stuff in weird and...
9 years ago 20

Kodak camera power button
I've been using an old Kpodak digital camera at work to record progress. It's taken a lot of abuse but its chief attribute has been its low battery use, I use 2 AA 2500mAhr cells. However it took to...
9 years ago 2

Wiki: Plasterboarding
Does anything need adding or altering? NT '''Awaiting final review - information may be incomplete, or just plain wrong''' ''With thanks to the contributers at uk.d-i-y USENET group, original thread...
9 years ago 15

Threaded blind rivet gun
Never had or used one, or even knew of their existence until recently but now have to install 100-200 of them. The question is, are the cheap ones, ( Silver Line mostly ), available on eBay worth a...
9 years ago 2

Loft condensation
Interesting problem with loft condensation... 100 year old house, no water/plumbing in the loft. Loft is lined and retiled, probably 40+ years ago. Loft has always been bone dry, at least through to...
9 years ago 34

what's this kind of wallcovering called?
Hi, what is the name for the kind of wallcovering that comes in rolls and is like a stiff net made of fairly strong threads, with squarish holes between them about 2-3mm wide? I've seen this in...
9 years ago 8

private sale of 3-piece suite: fire regs?
If I advertise my 3-piece suite in the local rag and someone buys it from me, do I have to ensure that it complies with the Furniture & Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988? I know the...
9 years ago 34

Leaded solder.
Can you still buy leaded cored solder wire for electronic use? I've just used up my old reel and I cannot get on with this lead free crap. I've heard it's been banned in Europe but would it be...
9 years ago 81

cleaning wallpaper paste and other gunk off walls
Hi, I have removed wallpaper from some walls which I am going to paint. There is quite a lot of wallpaper paste and other gunk still on the walls. What is the quickest and easiest way to remove it?...
9 years ago 3

Battery charger
I saw an advert for a battery charger that claims to charge ordinary batteries - primary cells. The specific ones shown in the ad were Duracells. Are these chargers any good, or are they a waste of...
9 years ago 12

Small 5.5v+3v power supply
I have an electronic appliance (Logik IR100 internet radio) with what I suspect is a dodgy internal power supply. It runs off both 5v and 3.3v, don't know the current split but total power consumption...
9 years ago 22

portable FM radio direct mains
Anyone know of a cheapish FM radio that can take a mains input directly (i.e. 2-pin '8' connector) without a power pack or wall wart ? I need such for use when doing DIY when batteries or an external...
9 years ago 58