Subject Author Posted Replies

Begging for help again .....
You chaps very kindly offered help and advice last week for which I was most grateful for. I am begging for some further help to do with my PC. I have just edited some files, 5 in all, each in a...
9 years ago 8

TOT: HTML/css trick to selectively display parts of page
As I say, totally off-topic but I bet someone here knows the answer! I've got a few websites (e.g. ) which have grown to the point there's too much presented on one page and I'd like to break the...
9 years ago 110

Toilet blocked more than 6ft from pan
A 6ft toilet auger doesn't reach blockage. Soil stack is a further 6ft away. From manhole to soil stack is clear and can't rod out blockage from that end. What's the best tool/procedure. Thanks in...
9 years ago 13

Cable Current Carrying Capacity
Hi all Just looking at the calcs for my kitchen cabling to the 16th edition (don't ask, I know we're in 17th territory now). The wording in the on site guide I am referring to is a little unclear. In...
9 years ago 3

Air or ground source heat pumps
Does anyone have any views or experience, please? Good or bad. Views and research yes, experience no. Because the costings indicated it wasn't worth it yet. In my case. Some things I learnt. (ground...
9 years ago 12

Scrap scaffold
How much should I offer the scrapyard for old scaffold? Are there only 3 types, aluminium, steel and rusty? [g] On Feb 2, 11:49=A0am, "george [dicegeorge]" wrote: Bent and unbent. Much scaff in...
9 years ago 2

Re: OT Hype about hydrogen (cars)
> , it's a half-baked idea. I stopped reading after "nor will its use reduce global warming, because of the cost and greenhouse gases generated during production" as the article seemed half baked,...
9 years ago 12

"Limiter" for outside lights
I've got a number of outside lights round the back and side of the house that run off a photocell and burn away through the night, lighting up half the county for nobody's benefit (other than e-on)....
9 years ago 22

24-30V power supply
Hi, I am playing around with using high-power LEDs for mood lighting - probably Cree XP-G or similar. I want to be able to run them at full brightness (1000ma), be able to dim them (PWM from an MCU),...
9 years ago 5

Whistling oil boiler
My oil fired boiler has started whistling while running. The high-pitched whistle starts about 10s after fireing up, stays pretty constant while running and then tapers off after the boiler...
9 years ago 8

Low Co2al
Picked up a couple of bags of coal the other day. When I got it home I found it wasn't the normal lumps of House Coal but some kind of processed briquette labelled Low Co2al - "A Modern House Coal...
9 years ago 17

OT: Household stanby power consumption
I see that the figure of 10% is still being bandied around as the average household power consumtion due to devices left on standyby. (Energy saving trust) This has got to be total b*llocks hasn't it?...
9 years ago 41

Sticking wash hand basin to worktop.
Hi all About 3 years ago I siliconed a small china type wash hand basin to the usual type of kitchen/bathroom worktop the sheds sell. The silicone has lost its bond to the whb which is now free...
9 years ago 1

An inch of rain?
When they say "an inch of rain fell in two hours" or whatever, how do they measure it? I mean, an inch of rain in a 12" dia bucket is a lot different to an inch of rain in a 12' dia pool. On...
9 years ago 52

Tradesmen
Lukewarm hot water at out house, so we need a gas man to come visit. New to the area so we resort to and pick a local bloke with good reviews. Phoned up on the 18th, message is left on the answerphone...
9 years ago 32