Subject Author Posted Replies

radiator build quality
Are radiators from well known manufacturers (e.g. stelrad) much better quality than cheapies from screwfix / toolstation etc ? I have to get one for a kitchen which may have slight levels of humidity...
9 years ago

lay z spa pipe clamps
Hi I have a Lay z spa and the egg has sprung a leak. The pump output pipe has a clamp but the clamp has shattered. (Age, frost) It conects two pipes together it is plastic and has screws to clamp it...
9 years ago 2

How to remove encrustation from a toilet?
How to remove encrustation from a toilet? After enthusiastically adopted water-saving methodology as encapsulated in the ditty: "If it's yellow - let it mellow; If it's brown - flush it down" the...
9 years ago 22

Swiss electric motor - colour codes?
I've won a totally dismantled electric motor off an bandsaw. It's single phase, probably about 1.5kw, and has motor wires on it which say switzerland. Been declared BER by the electrical repair...
9 years ago 15

Self-tapping vine eyes?
I need some self-tappers that have a hoop at the top (like a vine eye) rather than just a usual screw head. (Obviously I want to screw them into metal). I've looked in the usual places and done a bit...
9 years ago 5

"Tile 'n Grout Abominations"
One of the responses (John Rumm) to my recent "getting tile adhesive off a wall plaster wall" mentioned "Tile 'n Grout Abominations" and I wonder John - what exactly is wrong with them? For tiling a...
9 years ago 27

Gas hob repair advice sought
Hi all One of the four controls on our (oldish, cheapish) gas hob has stopped working. It's the style where you press down on the knob to allow you to turn it away from the 'off' position. It's not...
9 years ago 5

Mira shower handset repair
I need to repair a Mira shower spray handset if possible - looks like this: (or ) It's got water pouring out one edge - probably a duff O-ring - does anybody know whether you can get inside the beasts...
9 years ago 16

Mind the Gap - Carpet Tack-Strip
I'm planning to recarpet a bedroom and am ready to install the carpet tack-strip. The question is: What is the correct gap to leave between the edge of the tack-strip and the skirting board? I thought...
9 years ago 2

Strange telephone call
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on behalf of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our computers are infected with a virus that is bombarding...
9 years ago 55

OT: Can anyone help with network Samsung
Hi Chaps I have a Samsung ps506900 and it will couple to my network . It can see my PC but I cannot get it to see the media files on my PC. It shows some MP3s bit wont see any video except for the...
9 years ago 2

Reducer (Plumbing)
Hi I'm installing a loft tank at top of my garden to supply a sink in the polytunnel. The lawn slopes away downhill from the tank and will probably be level at tap height and base of the tank. Do you...
9 years ago 4

Ikea Ivar under-shelf wooden drawer runners: dimensions
I have very old Ivar shelving from the 1990s, including the wooden drawers mounted under the wide (deep) shelves. These drawers employed wooden runners. There was an "L" profile runner for the sides...
9 years ago 4

asbestos cement garage roof
My garage roof is made of corrugated asbestos, probably "asbestos cement". It's not leaking, but it's old. I'm getting someone in to replace the lintel and redo a bit of brickwork above it. What's the...
9 years ago 23

Re: keeping driveway clean
It's considered good manners to declare an interest if you recommend your own site. And if your sole purpose in posting was to recommend your own site, that's Commercial, which is prohibited in...
9 years ago 9