Fence posts

I have some bitumen paint, would this be good for painting the bottom of fence posts before concreting in the ground.

Not a particularly good idea.
If/when water gets into the wood it can't drain away into the ground.
--
Frank Erskine

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:26:47 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

Concreted in, won't drain very well anyway. Give 'em a couple of years and they will have rotted through just above ground level, unless very well treated, preferably presured treated.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 23/03/2013 10:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I think a very weak gravel mortar is the way to go. Strong enough to hold the post up, but weak enough to allow drainage and to be broken up when the post rots
On 23/03/2013 10:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I've had wooden posts last 10years+ when I've concreted them in. I raised the concrete level to around an inch above ground level and tapered it to allow rain to run off. Posts where the soil touches the posts at ground level rot rather fast.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 23/03/2013 08:26, Frank Erskine wrote:

The bottom is not usually the problem area. It's the few inches just below ground area that rot. There is a commercial product which is essentially a bitumen impregnated band/sleeve that can be fitted on a wooden post at the air/ground boundary.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

On 23/03/2013 11:58, alan wrote:

Was on Dragons' Den IIRC.

Metal spikes for fence posts will make them last far longer. Less work too. Concreting in is a very bad idea they soon rot.

I just use treated posts driven straight into the ground. Some of mine have lasted more than ten years now, though I have the occasional casualty (the last one I drove the tractor into!).
--
Chris Green

On 23/03/2013 18:57, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Thanks for the comments. I have to say my last fence lasted 20 years before the posts finally gave and that was on treated posts in concrete. Its just I have spare bitumen paint and I thought why not use it to improve the life of the posts. Reality is I probably wont be around in 20 years so maybe I shouldnt bother :-)
On 23/03/2013 19:37, ss wrote:

The so called treated posts available in many of the sheds/timber merchants only seem to have a superficial surface treatment these days.
In my parents house many of the oak(??) fence posts were still serviceable after 50 years. They were tapered outwards below ground level and were only held in with soil.
--
mailto:newsadmac(dot}myzencouk

ss wrote:

That's typical of your generation. All you think about is yourself. We younger people will have to live with the mess that you leave us. Global warming, sea levels rising by six metres, all the sea lions dead from heat stroke, and now you're leaving us with a wrecked fence! YOU BASTARD!
Dave Spart
On 24/03/2013 03:29, Bill Wright wrote:

Not at all its because I care for the next generation as their will be no fuel left on the planet so I am ensuring whoever buys the place will have a fuel supply.
writes

Not so. I believe you are not permitted to burn preservative treated timber.
--
Tim Lamb

of

ne

lty

Your last fence was likely treated with arsenic. Now banned. Your new one won't.
In message

Likely the copper and chromium had some impact as well.
--
Tim Lamb