Shower cartridges

Found a drip through a downstairs ceiling this morning and it turns out that the thermostatic control on the shower is leaking. Better or worse, depending on how it's waggled but I guess that means I need to change or service it. (For the moment I've built a dam of silicone to ensure the water flows into the bath instead of over the edge like it was). The bathroom will be done, eventually, and the whole thing will be swapped, so there's little point in buying a completely new set up.

The question, how do I identify it to source a new one? The flow and temp controls are two concentric chrome disks with levers projecting. When you unscrew a lever, there's a thread with an allen key hole in the end. I can't see any markings anywhere on the outside (I'm a bit reluctant to take it apart on a Sunday). Judging from other 'features' of the house installed before my tenure, it's bound to be a cheapo....

Is it a matter of taking the cartridge down to the PM and getting them to ID it, or is there another way?

Reply to
GMM

PM prolly won't carry them IME.

Got a photo?

There aren't 'that' many different makes, these people might help & have drawings/pictures.

The Medway Handyman

Hmm...there's a lot of 'em aren't there? I can see why they wouldn't be expected to have them all in stock. Not cheap either - in some cases almost to the point of it being worth replacing the whole thing I should think. I'll have to take it out by the look of things to work out which it is, then I could get a shot of it....

Reply to
GMM

They are piggin expensive for what they are.

I always get the customer to buy them direct - otherwise they think I'm ripping them off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I can see why - plus, if they get the wrong one, it's their fault(!)

Reply to
GMM

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

email shower doc as recommended with pics if possible, I will be surprised if he cant help.

Reply to
ss

Good plan - emailed them earlier asking what they need to ID my shower so will wait for their response.

Having thought about this, the leak is from the control unit, ie past the seals of the cartridge, so I wonder if a new O ring or two is all that's needed, rather than a 100 quid valve....

Reply to
GMM