Loose tiles

A few days ago I noticed some grout around some tiles around the bath (used for showering had) eroded or cracked . I raked it out and regrouted. A few days later I saw it had cracked again. I then realised that 3 in a row of tiles were actually a bit loose - and the wall is plasterboard. The row is immediately above the bath

I guess I know that I should remove them and check for damage - but not really the right time to do it. Should re-grouting - with plenty pushed in

- help to prevent further problems - or should I try raking out and using silicone?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I come across this often.

Remove all the loose tiles, clean them up & stick them back with Nail & Seal or Sticks Like Sh*t.

Then you can re grout straight away, more or less. Renew silicone between bath & tiles.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:JvI3t.195488$ snipped-for-privacy@fx27.fr:

Thanks - I just hope the plasterboard isn't too damaged. Would you try and blast it with a fan heater to dry it out after removing the tiles? any reason why you aren't suggesting tile adhesive?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

no

no

no point. If its wet it'll take weeks

acrylic grip would hold it stillish to gently grout, but may fail later. I'd use proper waterproof tile adhesive & grout next day

NT

Reply to
meow2222

use proper waterproof tile adhesive & grout next day

Nail & Seal & Sticks Like Sh*t.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nail & Seal & Sticks Like Sh*t are completely water proof (indeed, they work under water) & are unlikely to fail. They will dry much faster than tile adhesive so you can grout within an hour.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Any of suggestions will not prevent further problem ... only delay the intervention. You will now or in future need to remove times, and probably replace plasterboard - it may well have blown if it has got really wet.

Always thought plasterboard near a sink/bath/shower a daft approach. The USA use Aquapanel or similar that is not bothered by water ... I used Fermacell throughout my build, again fully waterproof. Plasterboard is not good once wet.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I fully expect to have to replace the plasterboard at some time and I will use a waterproof equivilant (cement based).

Reply to
DerbyBorn