Subject Author Posted Replies

loft insulation and access
Right, having loft insulated with fibreglass on Jan 14th for 99 pounds. I will have to remove the various loose laid floorboards currently used to walk around up there. I do not really have time to...
15
15

Alert Pal Alarm Camera anyone?
Recently received an email from LocksOnline (from whom I've bought mechanical bits and pieces in the past) attempting to sell me a security system. Details here: idea seems to be that when (if) it...
30
30

No Smoking on the Underground
Many times I have stood at Baker Street or one of the other stations where steam locomotives used to haul and thought, what a smokey horrible place it would be if they still ran. Well... Steam train...
22
22

Cavity wall top-up
When the roof was off, I noticed there were a few places the cavity wall blown fibre had sunk (or never got there in the first place). Google's not showing anything - can you get a bag of the fibres -...
3
3

OT: BBC iPlayer
Is there any way to tell in advance whether a one-off programme will be available on iPlayer after it's first shown?
29
29

Convert central heating to twin pipe
I'm planning to convert the ground floor central heating system from the old one pipe system to the twin pipe system. This partly because it is 50 years old and may be a bit messy and partly because I...
6
6

Could your gas cooker kill you?
Just had this from the local Community Alert email system. I don't normally pass this sort of thing on but in this case I think it's worth it. Twenty two models affected over five makers and 11,000 or...
4
4

OT - Quick question - warm stuff into fridge
It is generally held that you shouldn't put warm or hot items into a fridge. How much of this is based on old science, and how much on current science? Fast chilling cooked food is supposed to be a...
5
5

some folks
Quote from Coventry housing association insulation project: "The works went really well and I had no problems. My house looks lovely. T= he difference in the warmth of my home is amazing, I have...
7
7

WIFI range extender ????
I have a BT Home Hub providing my ADSL & radiating / receiving wifi. However I have a distributed site with several buildings well out of range of the BT Home hub, all of which are linked by CAT5. So...
19
19

combi boiler
Why does my combi boiler kick in on occasion, just for a few seconds. when (example) ... the time clock is set to 7C (during night) this was at midnight and is set to go from 21 to 7 at 10.30 the rads...
6
6

Dremels
Hi, Is a dremel plus all the accessory bits a useful addition to a diy toolkit or is it too pussy for this kind of thing?
29
29

Cutting copper pipes in corners
Hi all, What's the best approach to this? When a pipe is so tight in a corner you can't even get a pipe slice around it? I can only think of using a dremel with a minature cutting disk on it. Any...
6
6

Inverted syphon for boiler condensate
My old (non-condensing) boiler is on its last legs, and will probably need replacing when the weather is warmer in the Spring. However, it is going to be difficult to route the condensate pipe. I live...
9
9

Cable size
We're looking at replacing out gas hob with an electric one. Obviously the supply is a question. It's got a 30 amp fuse (yes, fuse!), and probably has had since the house was built; I wonder whether...
57
57