Could your gas cooker kill you?

Just had this from the local Community Alert email system. I don't normally pass this sort of thing on but in this case I think it's worth it. Twenty two models affected over five makers and 11,000 or so still to be traced. Eight deaths since 2009.

This is a message from Cumbria community messaging Information sent on behalf of Cumbria County Council. Message sent by Margaret Hodgson (Cumbria County Council, Administrator, Cumbria)

Could your cooker kill you? Trading Standards are urging people to check.

Trading Standards officers are calling on owners of certain types of gas cookers with separate oven and grill to check they are safe, in the light of a landmark inquest in Cornwall. Richard Smith and Kevin Branton died at their home in Saltash in November 2010 when a grill emitted dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide. The recent inquest heard that dangerous levels of the lethal gas built up in the grill, which was thought to have been turned on by accident.

This brings the number of people in the UK who are known to have been killed by these cookers to eight.

In 2009 22 models of cooker were identified as posing a potential safety risk if the grill door is closed while in use. The cookers themselves were all compliant with the relevant British Standard at the time they were manufactured and their instruction manuals made clear the grill door must be open when it is in use. The faults can be rectified by a very simple modification and we would therefore urge households to check whether their own cooker is amongst the list of affected products and needs modification. It is thought that around 11,000 cookers are still be traced and the companies and Trading Standards are urging people to check the list below:

Beko Gas Cooker models - DCG8511WLPG, DCG8511PLW and DCG581LWP

Leisure Gas Cooker models - CM10NRK, CM10NRC, AL6NDW, CM101NRCP, CM101NRKP

Flavel Gas Cooker models - DCGAP5LS, AP5LDWP, AP5LDW, AP5LDSP, Flavel Milano ML5NDS

Belling Gas Cooker models - Countrychef 100G, Countrychef 100G, G755MK2AN, G755MK2WH, GT755WH

New World Gas Cooker models - 50TWLMSVLPG, 50TWLMWHLPG, 50WLMLPGSV,

50WLMLPGWH

Anyone who has a Beko, Flavel or Leisure gas cooker can contact the helpline number FREEPHONE UK 0800 917 0555

For New World and Belling gas cookers call the helpline number 0800 110

5728.

For general consumer advice, please contact Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 08454 04 05 06 or visit

Dave Liquorice

Watch Corrie on New Year's Eve.

Reply to
jgharston

Are you suggesting that watching Corrie has the same effect as CO poisoning, or giving away the plot?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Contacts in the TV industry ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

I think I would rather have the CO poisoning ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm