"social housing" cooker?

What on earth is a social housing cooker?

mark.hannah

intended by virtue of its specification and price to go into social housing?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Surley some kind of discrimination!

Reply to
mark.hannah

>Mark.>>One

The phrase 'social housing cooker' seems to throw up only Belling models - but there's no mention ( as far as I can see ) of the term on the Belling site. As you say, I'd guess it means a cooker that's basic, robust and relatively inexpensive...in which case I have 'social housing boots' on.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Maybe this is a model made by Belling and normally sold to local authorities for maintenance of their housing stock. There's a New World gas one as well.

I would imagine that the LAs specify something that is low cost, sturdy and without frills.

Presumably Screwfix is selling to small contractors who do LA work.

It doesn't seem any more discriminatory than the terms "social housing", "council house" etc. These things are what they are so there is no need for euphemism

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd *guess* it's one which conforms to the basics for a grant for buying such things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It may also be so that it's less tempting and likely to be stolen by tenants, if it's not a model readily available on the high street. For a similar reason a lot of school audio-visual equipment used to be made in non-consumer styles of coloured plastic.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

One that will quickly turn into a rusty heap when dumped in the front garden?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

> Mark.

It's one that comes with factory installed stalactites of fat hanging off of it.

mark

Reply to
Mark

In message , snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk writes

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@totalise.co.uk saying something like:

Something to keep the cans of Special Brew warm on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon