Hot Cooker Wire

I was wondering if anyone knew if it is normal for a cooker cord and plug to get hot during use. THe cooker is pulling 2450watts and has a factory fitted 13A plug. The socket in the wall is brand new and fitted by a professional electrician.

It does not get so hot as to smell of burning but is hot to the touch.

If this is not normal how do I go about changing the wire or is this a job for an appliance engineer?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Reply to
pdrrose

In article , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com scribeth thus

At that sort of current yes it will get hot!. Its within what the 13 amp plug is rated for but even so its a large continuous load can't you wire it into a cooker outlet?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm sure that this is a second posting. It was either replied to here or on alt.home.repair quite satisfactorily.

Reply to
Clot

Leftpondians call it wire (it always makes me cringe!).

;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

================================== Have you checked the cooker documentation to see if there's a limit on how many rings / oven can be used simultaneously? As far as I can remember, some small, older plug-in cookers (e.g. 'Baby Belling') had such a limit, but I would expect that more modern cookers would have some kind of automatic switching built in to control the limits. It's still worth a quick check.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

IME some 13A plugs & sockets get hot at 13A/15A, some don't. The question is how hot. If it doesn't hurt when unplugged and the pins are held for 20 or 30 seconds, then its below 60C, and acceptable.

I'd also check the ratings plate, as someone else said some cooking equipment can eat well over 13A at full load. Those should not be on a 13A plug.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The original post did say factory fitted plug, so you'd /hope/ it took less than 13A.

Reply to
Andy Burns