Shielded or Non-shielded Cat5e Cable???

Hi all
I've just got a new house and am about to run a couple of Cat5e cables
to connect the main computers in the house.
I have been given a box of Cat5e FTP cable which is shielded and a few
non-shielded faceplates.
I have read you have to use the shielded cable with shielded face
pates. Is this true and would it matter if I used it with "normal"
faceplates???
Thanks
Reply to
ChrisAmies
I diont thiunk it really matters that much.
Just ground the shield to local mains earth, and pretend its unshielded.
Should be fine up to 100mbps.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
No, that'll just bring all the muck and shit on the mains earth into close proximity to your data circuits...
I can't decide what the implications, safety, earth loops etc, are of connecting the shield to mains earth are either.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
CAT 5 being a "balanced" type of operation us very robust indeed.
It will make sod all difference in that application anyway but if you must earth the shield and do it at one end only....
Reply to
tony sayer
I'm well aware of how well good balanced circuits can reject noise, use 'em all the time for running signals at around -50dBu for 500m or more. But there is no point in increasing the common mode interference for no reason....
Which end? Worms, can for the opening of. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
In message , Dave Liquorice writes
Doesn't really matter, just as long as you don't introduce an earth loop
Reply to
geoff
You are assuming that a bunch of shield flapping in the breeze will pick up less crap than if tied to mains earth. My experience suggest that the reverse is the case.
Its an RF shield mainly. Earth it all over the place, The odd bit of hum loop makes piss all difference to Ethernet speeds.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
DC earth one end, RF earth the other? Its probably OK with an RF earth at each end. Use a 3000V capacitor to match the 3000V isolating transformer or spikes will break things sooner. BTW AFAIK cat5e is unscreened and its not cat5e if it has a screen.
Reply to
dennis
In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
What's it 5 volts peak to peak?..
Well someone reckoned that this can induce more noise then it prevents and someone else claimed that it was better from an RF POV to earth to true earth at both ends...
We've got a lot of it in very RF noisy environments and never a problem:)..
Reply to
tony sayer

Site Timeline Threads

  • site's last updated in