OT - Quick question - warm stuff into fridge

It is generally held that you shouldn't put warm or hot items into a fridge.

How much of this is based on old science, and how much on current science?

Fast chilling cooked food is supposed to be a good thing. Modern refridgerators are usually quite efficient. So (as long as the warm/hot item is a relatively small proportion of the mass of the other items) is putting warm/hot food into a fridge still a risk?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Suspect if the only alternative is leaving it out until it's cold and then forgetting about it until the next day and it being wasted ... then it's half acceptable.

Reply to
mogga

yes

fwiw modern fridges have less kilos per day cooling capacity than old ones.

Putting hot items in can raise fridge temp. Leaving them out means more time for bugs to grow. If it has an ice compartment you could put it in there for a bit.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think so. Domestic fridges are not usually designed to fast-chill. Some cheap fridges are designed not to cool very well in order to earn their A* energy rating. Any hot food will probably raise the temperature of items close by before the fridge cools it down.

A fan assisted fridge would be better I think but it's not worth the risk IMHO. If you can't remember then set a reminder for 1-2 hours.

Reply to
Mark

I get the impression that the big improvement in insulation resulted in lower-powered cooling units. Hence it might actually be worse.

I agree it is an issue. Have been known to put things on back doorstep to cool off. Or use cool packs from freezer.

Reply to
polygonum

The reason for not doing it was stated to be that it could warm up food already in there with bad effect.

Also it costs money to pump the extra heat out.

In days of yore fridges weren't as good as now.

Reply to
harry