Subject Author Posted Replies

Downlights x4
I have often seen GU10 downlights which comprise of a rectangular or square frame with 2, 3 or 4 GU10 or LED tiltable lamps. But the frame is suspended from the ceiling on 4 thin wires. It is just...
8
8

Rule-of-thumb estimate for bathroom job? (with apologies)
Now I know full well that this is an impossible question to answer with any sort of accuracy, but is it possible to give an *extremely* rough rule-of-thumb costing for a (non DIY) total bathroom...
14
14

ESR meter - self test
As a result of the earlier thread on ESR testers, I ordered one from HK which turned up yesterday. This one Ebay Item number: 171023267112 I must say I am quite impressed with its functions, except it...
10
10

What to do with a coal bunker?
Still doing mum's garden, rod for my own back etc etc. Anyway, she's got a nice concreted area at the side of the house, I've cleared it & will power-wash it somewhen, put in a table and chairs and...
27
27

facias and soffits; paint or PVC covers?
Neighbour has asked my advice. She has a quote for covering fascias, soffits and barge boards with PVC. She's also had a quote for a carpenter to repair some damaged wood and for a painter to rub...
7
7

Marble price?
Bought an offcut of 'white' marble with blue veins running through it - the sort you see in Victorian houses on fireplaces and wash stands, etc. It's about 1800 x 300 x 30mm. Polished on one face,...
6
6

Joist to Rafter
I have been putting in a cut roof ..... where the joist crosses the rafter I have arranged that these meet side by side rather than meeting under each other (as in a truss) What is considered best way...
2
2

OT - NatWest service seems to be down
NatWest online banking is giving me Service Unavailable. Anyone else having this problem? Google hasn't shown up any reports with today's date on. Cheers Dave R
2
2

bees in loft - anything to worry about ?
Yesterday finally got around to refitting a soffit ventilation grille (circular plastic thingy) which fell out a few weeks ago (yes, very lazy : ( had to wait for the correct combination of weather,...
32
32

Old handrail brackets --- wedged into the masonry?
The house came with a staircase handrail attached to the wall by 3 brackets, with a lot of paint on them. The middle one broke off recently, so I bought 3 new brackets because that way they would all...
11
11

Screwfix in Coventry
We have a new Screwfix in Coventry about a mile from Toolstation. It looked pretty quiet when I went past yesterday. The closest one was Nuneaton about 10 miles away. They have a nice poster with an...
2
2

fire valve for oil fired boiler
Hi, Looking at the manual for my boiler, it says the fire valve should be at the tank outlet, which makes sense only oil tanks are always some way from the house for obvious reasons and the capillary...
10
10

Wire fitting for brushes on elec motor
Having sorted the issue with my chop saw bearings I decided to have a look at the back end of the elec motor and the wiring to the brushes are suspect. In this pic you can see the wire is pushed down...
10
10

Wooden worktops - quality question
Is it normal for wooden worktops to have one side which is considerably worse quality than the other - i.e. a face side and an underside, where the underside has various knot holes etc?
5
5

Keeping drinks cool in the garden
Let's say you get a cold drink (can or glass) from the fridge & take it outside in the summer. What's the best solution(s) anyone has found to keep the drink cool until you've finished it without...
20
20