Subject Author Posted Replies

Decking - finished
Asked several Q's in past few weeks ranging from max span of joist to what screws for deck boards. Job finally finished ... roof on, only remaining task is to oil it (Liberon clear) ...next week...
9
9

OT: Renewable UK reshuffles directors?
reveals that 4 directors and the company secretary at renewableUK have just been 'terminated' Does anyone have access to the companies house data to ID who they are? Their website makes no mention of...
4
4

Push-On retainer
Not sure of proper name ... But I am referring the the segmented round spring washer thingy's that are used to retain shafts. Often used of pushchairs, etc. As per this pic: Nearest description I can...
7
7

Petrol-proof washer
The 'can' for spare petrol (lawnmower - and neighbour's for her car) has a washer in the cap but not in the long nozzle. Of course, the petrol dribbles out which, with a hot motor on a hot day... I...
23
23

Circuit board soldering tips please
I have 9 capacitors to replace and have very little experience with soldering on circuit boards. Tips for removing and replacing welcomed.
29
29

Sink sealing (sink sinking)
In addition to the horrible dark marble-finish worktops, the previous owners of this house put in a, I dunno, suspended sink I suppose it could be called for the want of a better word. On observing...
5
5

How to "dish" wood
I want to put a small dish / concave indentation in a piece of wood, for the ball of a bales catch. What's the neatest way of doing this? The wood is a door frame and is fixed in position already.
18
18

Construction methods for veranda wall
We are proposing to build a short wall (about 2.4 metres long and 2 metres high) across the end of the veranda to replace the current fence panels. One end will touch the corner of the house, the...
1
1

Thickness of roof timbers to support weight
A shed will have roofing felt applied, so it will need to support the weight of one human to do that. The roof planks are 1.6 metres long, how thick should the be to support (let's say) 90kg of human?
22
22

Questions on solar / PIR / LED security light
I see one with 2 x 11 LEDs advertised for around £20 with back up rechargeable batteries, my next door neighbour has one and it would seem ideal for my purpose to illuminate a dark remote area....
8
8

Yet another use for WD40
Avon and Somerset Police have released this picture of a man and woman who were in the area at the time of the incident in Weston-super-Mare who they are trying to find.
14
14

looming disater in German reneables..?
"It's all an enormous swindle," says Besigheim-based auditor Walter Müller, 65, whose former job involved calculating the value of bankrupt East German factories. Today, he takes the same...

Fibreglass mould plug - what material?
Purely hypothetical: Say I wanted ot make a custom waterfall spillway filter tank, like: (I don't but I might in a year or two) Assuming it was a one off, and I was happy to take a single cast from a...
2
2

filling in holes in steel
I have a pair of brackets, which attach to a rubber roller. The brackets have a sequence of M10 clearance holes .... in order to improve the fitting I need to offset the roller ... new holes can be...
4
4

solid-state relays - how to spec ?
HI All I'm looking at building a large-ish glass fusing kiln - it'll probably have two resistive wire heating elements - probably 3 - 4 kw (10A @ 240v) each in the clamshell lid. Opinions vary in...