Subject Author Posted Replies

Pool Heater - gas pipe sizing
I'm planning to replace an ancient and inefficient gas-fired pool heater (120,000 BThU/hr input, 84,000 output(!)) with a slightly larger (130,000 BThU/hr input, 122,000 output) condensing one. The...
6
6

Electrics: blown something up (again)
Hi all, So to cut a long story short, I was testing this oil cooled welder I bought using a temporary lash up to a 13A socket just to see if it was working at all. I figured I'd try it out on a lowish...
50
50

OT Fracking
I see there is some village in Sussex where they are demostrating about fracking. (Some of them professional whingers). Same lot of NIMBYs as don't want wind turbines I expect. Pity there isn't any...
74
74

What's this tool called?
Hi all, Can anyone tell me what this tool is called from this description I'm givin g here: It's kind of like a heavy duty heel bar; a long, hard steel lever for prizi ng up very heavy items, but...
22
22

Mains plugs wire entry point
Most of my plugs the wire entry point is on the end where there are two pins. Now I have some where the wire entry is at the earth pin end. This means the plugs won't plug into a multiplier as there...
16
16

Sthil FS 120
Hello, I have a Sthil FS120 strimmer/brushcutter. When started it runs okay for a bit, but after a while it stops picking up when the throttle trigger is squ eezed. If stopped and restarted it will...
2
2

Curious phone charge, OT
I never spend money beyond the fixed charge on my mobile so I was curious to see where £0.29 for 5 secs. had gone. 08443762820 gets lots of hits on Google but it was billed as an outgoing call! I...
18
18

OT - Robberies
A local garage has been robbed again as a staff member was cashing up. Traumatic and risky - Scum got money they didn't earn. What annoys the hell out of me is why does any business ever need more...
46
46

Sealing bath waste
Am having great difficulties getting the waste to seal on a twin walled/skinned bath. Acrylic bath. The problem is that when tightening the waste fittings the two skins of the bath move towards each...
8
8

Math help :-)
An awning is attached to a wall at a height "X". The front edge is lower because the awning slopes by 15 degrees. Depending on the width, the awning could extend by anything from 1m to 4m. If I want...
32
32

OT: More on the waste "problem"
A potential MS product with an uptime of decades? Bill Gates' nuclear firm plans hot, salty push into power • The Register
5
5

Todays apprentice:-)
He has second fixed a job that I first fixed. Now only 3 of the 4 picture lights worked when the lightswitch was turned on. He phoned me and asked about the route of the cable. Now only the 3rd light...
34
34

Antex Pipemaster Pro - quick review
How long does it take to warm up? You don't have a heat mat? Donno if that is the same as mine but what I have is a blooming amazing thing. Sling it behind a pipe, covering painted woodwork, make...
83
83

dyson died
et voila - an hour later it started up again - for another 1/2 hour then did same thing - conked.... diagnosis & treatment please? cheers Jim K
31
31

bosch multitool blandes
Agreed - have been using them since early this year.
18
18