More decorating.

Tad traditionalist me so woodwork indoors (doors, skirtings, bannisters etc) gets painted white gloss, but the smell, runiness etc when applying mean Glossing is a complete chore, yellowing means it is supposed to be done every six months or so, ((AIUI) to help avoid yellowing water based Gloss should be used but the runniness is caused by it being water based). So does anyone use satin finish paint and does anyone have a favourite paint for same?

Crown and Dulux white glosses seem to get bad reviews on the B&Q website.

Low odour and quick drying are a must.

Reply to
soup

Yellowing isn't really the problem with water based glosses: Solvent based ones yellow much more quickly. Most water-based give a poor finish and are not very durable, plus they don't adhere well to a previously-glossed surface.

Don't know about satin but the last paintwork I did, I used Johnstone's aqua gloss. It seems to be a bit of a hybrid between water and solvent based. Low odour, quick drying but a fair impression of a 'proper' gloss as well, ie reasonably glossy and pretty tough-looking. I was painting bare timber so went through primer - undercoat x2 - gloss x 2. I don't know how it would go on over existing gloss, but the blokey in the Johnstone's shop said it should be ok with a light rub down and one coat of undercoat.

The downside is that it's not cheap: 2.5L of each of gloss and udner coat came to about 50 quid. And it's not available in the regular B&Q type places, so you have to find one of their outlets.

Reply to
GMM

You what? Some of my interior woodwork was last painted 20 years ago and certainly isn't going to be done again!

Reply to
Huge

I'm a big fan of Wilkinsons paint, especially the one coat stuff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

SUPPOSED ! More like six years chez soup.

Reply to
soup

In article , GMM writes

I agree with all you have said and also like Johnstones, my local outlet will price match online prices, I phoned first to ask the general question (answered, bring in a printout of an online price and we will match) and he nearly fainted when he saw the price I had grabbed online, better than most of his frequent trade buyers get, but he honoured the deal.

I'm using their acrylic eggshell but as you say, the finish isn't a patch on old full fat.

Reply to
fred

For indoor use, water-based non-drip gloss seems to work ok - and doesn't yellow over-quickly. It doesn't run too easily either - but I always remove large things like doors and lie them down to paint them.

One caveat though: *Don't* use water based paint on MDF windowsills which might get wet. The water will get through to the MDF which will swell up under the paint. BTDTGTTS!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Here in Aus we now have a new super glossy acrylic paint may be you also have one in the uk?

Reply to
F Murtz