Fireplace

Hi there,

Just a quick question. Just brought a house and decorating my first room, well last thing for me to do is paint the fireplace. I have a fireplace in every room and below the fireplace is the living room fireplace and currently none of these are in use. Well at some point I want to get a wood burner in the living room meaning and have the flute going straight up, which means going up behind the fireplace in my bedroom.

I emailed dulux and hamerrite for advice on what paint to use, and both said to use a normal emulsion. as when I emailed them I said that I was expecting it to get hot. but how hot will the flute from downstairs actually make the fireplace surround in the bedroom, as anyone else got a similar set up?

As well here's the question. After painting it all, the fireplace has been done in a matt emulsion (crown one coat) and the skirting has been done in dulux egg shell, and I was thinking that possibly the matt and shiny doesn't really go and was thinking of painting the fire surround in eggshell also. But if the flute does get hot upstairs then I guess harmful vapours will come out the eggshell due to it being oil based.

would anyway think the flute would get hot and I shouldn't use eggshell or should using eggshell be ok?

Quick thing to bring a smile. Initially painted my fireplace with dulux magic paint which goes on pink and goes white. Well it stayed pink, in fact turned luminous 'ish. and I have done 2 more coats of the magic paint and also done two coats of crown one coat and there is still some pink element to it, and I'm now hoping that tonight's coat or either one coat or eggshell will be the final coat to hide it.

whilst on the failing paints, would you try getting your money back off dulux as it never went white, and do you think you'd try getting your money back from crown as they said cover in one coat of your money back.

Only a few hours left till the finale of the final paint (fingers crossed) so I would appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks.

Reply to
CJC

You certainly like to make things complicated...

1) use any paint you like - it's paint and can be painted over if you don't like it afterwards 2) eggshell does give off fumes but they are not harmfull, it's used in schools and hospitals 3) The word you are looking for is 'flue', a flute is a musical instrument 4) don't use gimmicky paints, IE pink to white they generally cost double normal paints and as you've found out, are crap. 5) the *flue* will be behind the upstairs fireplace(s) and so relatively little heat will get near any paint
Reply to
Phil L

If you want pink there's a lovely barbie pink. :)

Reply to
Mogga

Thanks for the replies, in regards to phil,

first time I've decorated as first property, so I've probably over complicated everything. thanks for the info on eggshell used at schools etc, I'll bare that in mind also.

my girlfriend picked up on my mistake yesterday regarding the flute, as they say everyday day you learn something new.

Thanks Mogga I'll look out for that when I do my next room.

I think I've finally sorted out the pinkness with my last coat last night.

In regards to the refund dulux said they would, but not sure if to bother with the crown paint.

anyway please keep an eye out for my questions, as i dont know an awful lot about the finer parts to decorating, so I'll be on the look out for advice.

Many thanks.

Reply to
CJC