Kitchen paint

Just finished plastering up our kitchen, which at the moment is a bare shell. I thought I'd paint all the walls and get the floor down etc before all the units arrive. What sort of paint should I be going for, I've seen some "kitchen" ranges stocked in the sheds but not a lot of choice, is it necessary or will ordinary emulsion do - similarly for the ceiling which will be plain white. If I should be using special paint can it be watered down (like emulsion) to seal the plaster or do I have to PVA first.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Crook

I used ordinary vinyl silk and it's just fine. I didn't replaster, but I did put on a coat of polycell basecoat, which did a great job of providing a consistant surface.

I used a Crown kitchen/bathroom emulsion on our bathroom ceiling, but found that it didn't cover as well as ordinary emulsion - I needed 5 coats in the end. I thought it odd because I've found Crown paints normally cover much better than Dulux (usually 2 coats for Crown, 3 for Dulux)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

As it is new plaster, you should leave it to dry out thoroughly as long as you can manage to live with bare plaster walls. Alternatively, you can use a permeable paint for a year until it has really dried out and then paint a more durable coating over the top.

As for the long term paints, vinyl emulsion will work, but will need recoating much sooner and is damaged by washing. If you want a consumer paint, use Kitchen & Bathroom, or Realife.

In the end, though, I'd probably recommend Dulux Trade Quick Drying Eggshell, which is a water based acrylic, rather than vinyl emulsion. Available in 12,000 colours, so you shouldn't get stuck with the lurid forms of aqua that consumer K&B comes in. There's plenty of Dulux Decorator Centres around the place to buy it from. I've got to the point where I only ever buy good quality trade paints, now. They are similar prices to consumer products, but much better quality. Tradesmen don't waste their time on inferior materials that will result in them having to make return visits.

From their website:

Dulux Trade Quick Drying Eggshell is a tough, durable and attractive mid-sheen waterbased finish. It is suitable for the decoration and protection of most normal interior plaster, masonry and wood surfaces, including those susceptible to condensation. Its special acrylic formulation offers a high quality, smooth appearance that does not yellow on ageing and which is harder wearing and easier to clean than conventional emulsion paints. It is quick drying and of low odour compared to solvent-based paints, and therefore ideal for use where minimum disruption is important.

Water Resistance: Resistant to the levels of atmospheric humidity present in normal interior environments and will withstand repeated washing. Suitable for use in kitchens and bathrooms. Not suitable for use on immersed surfaces or where there is heavy and prolonged condensation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle