painting over new plaster

i have newly plastered walls in my kitchen i was just wondering before
i paint should i water the paint down. also should i buy the special
kitchen bathroom paint? as a first coat? or will standard emulsion be
fine?
Reply to
benpost
.. xxi have newly plastered walls in my kitchen i was just wondering before .. xxi paint should i water the paint down. also should i buy the special .. xxkitchen bathroom paint? as a first coat? or will standard emulsion be .. xxfine?
For better or for worse, I painted a thinned down emulsion on the bathroom newly plastered walls and then finished of with an Eggshell finish.
Mike P
Reply to
Mike P
I have tended to buy B&Q own brand white emulsion and create a 1:1 mix with water, and apply 2 coats of this before adding an undiluted coat of the same paint. It's horrible stuff to apply because it goes everywhere - but I have found that if you don't do this the paint will come off in flakes.
Mark.
Reply to
mark.hannah
Others say DON'T do that whatever you do as you may end up with a PVA layer which peels off - use the dilute paint and you can't go wrong.
BTW, having recently done that job myself for a whole refurbed house, next time I have to do it, rather than using diluted cheapo white emulsion for priming I'll use the actual paint I'll be using, diluted... I realised too late that if I'd used diluted magnolia rather than brilliant white primer, I'd have got away with applying one less coat of paint to the whole place .
David
Reply to
Lobster
i'm confused, i went in wickes and had a look at the kitchen/bathroom paint. the preparation instructions said to first use trade paint for new plaster or matt master emulsion watered down. ok, so i went to the trade paint for new plaster and it says on the back 'not suitable for kitchens and bathrooms - use kitchen and bathroom paint range'.
lol, so whats the best way? i 'm thinking watered down kitchen/ bathroom paint?
Reply to
benpost
Oh, I think you shoudl read that as 'not suitable for kitchens and bathrooms AS A FINAL FINISH - use kitchen and bathroom paint range'.
So by all means use it as an undercoat/primer.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
ah i see.. i like things to be easy so - could i get away with watered down kitchen/bathroom paint as a first coat on plaster? then after that coat do a neat coat of it?
Reply to
benpost

Site Timeline Threads