Painting new plaster.

I have several newly-plastered rooms to decorate. (Well, farily newly-plastered; they have had time to dry out thoroughly.) I have seen various suggestions for painting new plaster - painting with diluted emulsion, mixing polybond with emulsion, using a special plaster undercoat.

How can I get a decent result whilst minimising hassle?

Reply to
Brian Harrison

Whenever I plaster new walls I never paint them, just line them with plain wallpaper and then paint, stops the blotchyness of the emulsion on new plaster.

I hate painting new plastered walls.

Reply to
ben

You need to use diluted emulsion - I forget the preferred ratio, but a quick google of uk.d-i-y will tell you - and definitely don't use PVA solution. This seals the surface and makes subsequent emulsion peel off. Been there, done that... :-(

Have to say that papering over new plaster with lining paper is a total waste of time (providing the plasterwork is good quality of course!). If you prime the plaster first, as above, then give it two coats of decent emulsion there shouldn't be any blotchiness.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes but the problem starts when you decide to wallpaper over the emulsion, when the emuslion becomes wet again(from the paste) it lifts from the wall causing bubbles in the wallpaper, yes it will dry out in due course, and when you decide to rewallpaper again you take the old stuff of only to find the emulsion is coming off as well in patches. Hence why I'd rather line the walls.

just my tuppence worth. To each their own.

Reply to
ben

I painted all my new plaster with some stuff called Super Leytex, made by Leyland and obtainable from most decorating suppliers (e.g. Johnstones). No fiddly preparation, diluting, PVA-ing walls or anything like that - just rolled on one coat straight onto the plaster. Covers well, and is pretty cheap at around £17 for 10 litres IIRC.

Super Leytex is designed to be applied directly to new plaster, and although I put on one coat of magnolia as an undercoat, over six months later I still haven't got round to putting on the proper final emulsion coat in some rooms, because the walls look good enough as they are. Excellent stuff.

Reply to
Tony Eva

You're having a laugh! Going to the trouble of getting a nice flat wall and then destroying it by applying paper and having peeling manky joins doesn't make sense.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Go down to your local Dulux Trade centre. Buy enough tins of Dulux Supermatt in the colour of your choice (there's a few thousand to choose from). Supermatt is an excellent emulsion that is particularly suited to new plaster. The quality of it is in a different league to standard consumer paints.

Apply the first coat diluted down 10%. The first coat can be white, if desired, which is useful if doing the ceiling at the same time.

Then apply 2 coats of the main paint. The stuff is excellent. You'll probably get away with just one coat if you have good technique, but 2 coats looks particularly fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Does this mean your crap at Wallpapering? see my other replies why I do it this way. Just because you plaster a wall doesn't mean its for the sake of painting it.

Reply to
ben

My plasterer even went so far as to threaten to throw a brick through my window if he saw that I'd papered over his 'artwork'...!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

No. It means that in 10 years, the paper will have peeled and will be showing the joins.

What possible benefit is there to papering over fresh plaster? It is an extremely time consuming labour intensive task that leaves an inferior surface.

Painting on fresh plaster is an absolute dream. I love it. It is much better than any other surface. Just make sure you use a paint intended for the job (i.e. Dulux Trade Supermatt) and make sure you dilute the first coat. This is no hardship. Every time I pour a slug into the tray, I add a dribble of water from a cup (normally the same one I'm drinking from!) There's no requirement for accuracy or consistency in the proportion.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

[snip]

10 years!..blimey your missus is not a spender then?

Mine gets stripped every year revealing the nice smooth plaster I hasten to add. :-)

Reply to
ben

So you put up and strip paper yearly? Bloody hell. I have a job and kids. I do repaint every few years, but I certainly don't strip and repaper every time! I've got enough maintenance tasks that have been pushed back years as it is. A once over with some fine sandpaper is fine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for the advice. I'll check this out.

Regards,

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Harrison

Thanks for the advice!

I enjoy papering, but I'm slow at it and I have five rooms to do, so I'll probably use diluted emulsion.

Cheers,

Brian.

Reply to
Brian Harrison

Thanks for the advice. I'll check where I can get hold of this locally.

Cheers,

Brian

Reply to
Brian Harrison

Hi All,

Quick question. We have a lot of of new plaster to paint and are having problems in certain areas. Normally a dilute first coat of emulsion is fine for wall priming. However in certain patches I think the plasterer has overshined the wall and nothing seems to take. Ive not come across this before, any ideas for a remedy?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Paint it with a mix of 6 parts water to 1 part PVA glue first.

Reply to
Peter

Sand the polished areas to rough up a key. PVA would make this situation worse.

Reply to
FKruger

I think some plasterers add pva to the skim coat if they know it's going to be painted

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I think they dont.

Reply to