Painting onto new plaster

I don't think it should do that.

The bathroom and kitchen are nearing completion. I've just put a bit of masking tape onto the bathroom wall, to have a think about the size of mirror we want - and it's taken the flamin' paint off as easy as you bloody like.

I is not happy.

The walls have been back to bare brick, and plastered with bonding coat and finish. They were painted with Dulux white bathroom paint. The first coat was watered down to "runnyish", then about three or four coats put on.

What have I done wrong? Is there anything I can do short of pulling all the bloody paint off and starting again? What about the bits that are tiled on top of paint...?

Reply to
Adrian

Paint will always do this on new plaster...your first coat should have been like p!$$, IE 3 parts water to 1 part paint, messy, splashy and horrid for working with but it soaks right in and gives subsequent coats a better 'grip'. And don't fall for the 'bathroom' and 'kitchen' paint scam, it's just normal paint, regardless of claims made by manufacturers and protestations by others in this froup that it's 'special'.

Reply to
Phil L

if the tiles are stuck, leave em be.

if the paint is peeling off you can give it a going over with a scraper and repaint the bits that come off. however, you might find that painting over the paint which /thought/ was stuck was /not/ and will dampen and lift off onto the roller as you pass over it :-(

good luck. it's probably not as bad as you think.

Reply to
.

Phil L ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

THAT thin...? Oh.

and...

Reply to
Adrian

Why would you want to strip it all off and start again? - it's only because the paint hasn't fully 'cured' that it has peeled away, and even then, only because you attached sticky tape to it and pulled it off! - paint takes a good few weeks to harden properly, maybe longer in a damp bathroom.

Reply to
Phil L

Phil L ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, OK...

Might not be all doom'n'gloom, then - although it's certainly looking it at the mo!

Reply to
Adrian

I had some emulsion pull off with masking tape recently and that was >

year old. There are two types of masking tape the 24 hr and the 7 day. I was wondering whats the point of 24 hr if its the same price. Maybe the 7 day is more prone to pulling off the emulsion type paints? I bet the OP was using 7 day.

Reply to
marvelus

marvelus ( snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It says "Sicad Group EuroCel" on the inside edge of the cardboard.

The tape was pulling paint off with just a quick dab, though - Total contact time about than a second...

Reply to
Adrian

Don't underestimate masking tape. I had it pulling the laminate off an Ikea plinth, which was crap admittedly, but it's powerful stuff on some surfaces. That said, Dulux emulsion does seem full of crap these days. Too much aggregate and not enough resin. I only use Crown these days

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've always understood it should be diluted 10:1: paint:water??

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which is what both sets of plasterers (kitchen and bathroom) said to me, and what I did.

I'd love to see somebody trying to put 3:1 water:paint onto a ceiling...

Reply to
Adrian

For normal painting yes, not when you want the actual paint to soak in more than a fraction of a mm! - the water soaks into new plaster and leaves the pigments on the surface, and these easily peel off, if the paint is *very* thin, more pigments get into the plaster rather than just on the surface.

Reply to
Phil L

Roller on a pole, brush for corners and disposable paper suit or sheet of thin polythene. That said, it's not usually needed, only if you intend applying and removing tape the following day :-p

Reply to
Phil L

Phil L ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

About three weeks later...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Two weeks. Damn near exactly.

Reply to
Adrian

and isn't there more than one type of masking tape ? Low tack stuff for some jobs ?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I find just 30% water works just fine, with a quality paint.

It depends on the brand. Some really is very different, usually because it uses a high quality acrylic copolymer base, rather than PVA copolymer.

However, for new plaster, I would use a specific new plaster paint, such as Dulux Supermatt (there are equivalents in other manufacturers' ranges). I would then consider a tougher acrylic paint in a year or two, once the plaster is really dry.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I find Crown works straight from the tin. It has a thinner consistency to start with, but this doesn't seem to affect the coverage in subsequent coats.

Reply to
Stuart Noble