Dulux paint vs. Dulux trade paint

Hello,
Can anyone tell me the difference between Dulux trade paint and Dulux
"for sale to the public" paint?
I know this is a DIY group but I can't be good at everything, so I've
got someone coming to paint the staircase.
Focus are selling two 5L tins of Dulux for £25, whereas he can get one
5L for about £20 but he's telling me that the "public" version is
watered down and the trade stuff is better and worth paying more for.
Dulux also sell a diamond matt paint that is supposed to be
indestructible but the trade price is 45+vat for 5L. It's not that
much in the shops. Is the trade paint really that much better?
He tells me to go with just plain old vinyl matt and says the trade
version is just as tough as any fancy diamond variety. Is the diamond
matt just a marketing gimmick? I thought it might be more resistant to
scuffs and stains and worth paying extra for, provided it works; does
it? Or is this a ploy to get me to use cheap stuff so he has to come
back and retouch it next year ;)
TIA
Reply to
Sam
I find the trade stuff from a Dulux centre is better value and covers well. Their Glidden brand is good for whites and magnolia too. I water it down slightly. Here's more expert opinion on the differences.
Reply to
Al M
Thanks I shall read that link now.
BTW before anyone rushes to Focus to take advantage of their offer, I've been back and double-checked and it's two 2.5L for £25, not two 5L. they sell 5L for £26.99, which is about what this chappie gets the trade paint for (I think his £20 price is ex vat).
Reply to
Sam
In general, without checking on Dulux specifically, the difference is in the amount of inert pigment (or plain white filler) in there. This has a significant effect on the covering power _per_coat_.
If you're looking for the cheapest job, you'll probably get there eventually with the cheap stuff, using more coats to do just as good a job (Dulux "non-trade" isn't a bad paint).
If you're just freshening up a tobacco-stained or faded wall, there's ot much in it.
If you're in a hurry, or if labour is costing more than paint (almost any commercial work), then the "trade" grade paints are almost always the better investment.
Reply to
Andy Dingley
The 'Trade' is better quality.
My Uncle is a painter, and wont use anything other than Crown Trade emulsion, he says it is far better than any other brand. Alan.
Reply to
A.Lee
I'd gained an impression that the trade stuff was a bit more runny, hence needed more skill to put on.
Of course if you really want the ultimate paint, go for a two pot epoxy yacht paint. The £30 for 750ml might put you off though.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
AFAIK it's scrubbable so better for kitchens, bathrooms and small children :)
cheers, Pete.
Reply to
Pete C
It should be compared with Gliddens (from Dulux) and Macphersons/Brolac (from Crown). 'Ordinary' Dulux and Crown are premium brands and Leyland is not. I suppose that if you spend a lot of time using a particular product you learn how to get the best out of it.
Reply to
Peter Johnson
In article , A.Lee writes
Having just been doing a load of painting at Church - the white Satinwood (Trade) covered everything and went miles. The coloured gloss (standard non-drip) didn't cover as well and hasn't gone as far.
Reply to
John
Gloss isn't very good for covering. Anything under it will grin if the right shade of undercoat is not applied first.
The gloss is a finished effect more like a varnish than a cover.
Reply to
Weatherlawyer
The only thing Premium about Dulux is the price and old wives tales. Perhaps that will change now they have been acquired by Akzo-nobel who do make some premium paints, other then the Crown brand which is also aimed at the DIYer.
-
Reply to
Mark
I've never ever had success with any Crown paint. I do like Dulux trade Diamond eggshell which I used for my kitchen walls (Pastorale Jade). Even diluted to use on new plaster it gave lovely coverage which could almost suffice without further coats :-)
I used Gliddens matt white fungicidal paint on the ceiling - that did need a couple of coats (to hide some pencil-marks!).
Reply to
Frank Erskine
It's about position in the market. Crown and Dulux (even if you don't like it) are marketed as premium brands, Macphersons and Gliddens their respective value-for-money brands.
It'll be interesting to see what Akzo do with Dulux, and what they do with the two distribution networks.
It wasn't when I worked for Crown and I'm not aware that the situation has changed.
Reply to
Peter Johnson
Unfortunately out in the real world marketing and market position does always equate to a superior product Just a higher price to pay for it. As anyone who has compered for instance Dulux Weathershield with Leyland masonry paint, on price, durability and coverage would tell you.
Im an end user not an ex-employee of either firm and without any preconceived quality ideas other then the final result.
-
Reply to
Mark

Site Timeline Threads