Where can I buy plywood to lay over wooden floor before tiling?

Subject line says it all really. I'm in Surrey and would prefer a
source I can buy online (or on the phone) from and have it delivered.
I've also noticed that there are quite a few options when it comes to
plywood - e.g. "Coniferous WBP Non Structural" / "Hardwood Far Eastern
WBP" /
"Shuttering" / "Birch" / "Marine" / "Veneered" / etc. - so if
anyone has advice on the exact type I should be using for this I'd
appreciate that too. I gather I should use exterior-grade; perhaps
that narrows it down to just the single option? It's to go over
existing - fairly stable - 18mm floorboards before tiling.
I know there are many threads on tiling on wooden floors (which I've
read) so I'm mostly looking for a recommended source.
Thanks.
Reply to
james.dawkins
You certainly don't need marine ply for this. WBP is perfectly suitable.
For supply, try a local timber merchant (Yellow Pages).
Reply to
Andy Hall
Any of your local Builders Merchants (ie Travis Perkins) will take your money (Credit Card) on the phone and deliver next day. Not the cheapest but certainly convenient
Reply to
robert
Agreed - and it's not really something you'd normally be able to buy directly online. Any timber merchant will sell it.
You haven't mentioned 'thickness' yet which is the other consideration - there'll probably be at least three to choose from; depends on how rigid you need the floor to be (if you're talking solid eg ceramic or slate tiles then very rigid) and how rigid and level the existing floor is).
David
Reply to
Lobster
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:33:24 GMT
Builder Merchant. I pay about =A325 for 2440x1220x18mm WBP (Water and Boil Proof) Far Eastern. That's delivered, in small quantities. The delivery guy may need help with 18mm, sometimes its very heavy - and then you are in luck as the denser the better for flooring.
R.
Reply to
TheOldFellow
Marine Ply is designed for extended immersion, so you probably don't need it in your house. Where's the nearest river? :)
Wearing my light green hat, I'd like you to look for an FSC logo. Shows it wasn't taken from an orang utan's nursery, or anything else untoward.
Andy
Reply to
Andy Champ
Thanks all for the quick responses. The online prices I've seen are similar to those quoted by TheOldFellow, so I may as well just go to TP/Wickes then. Maybe they'll even deliver on Monday........ :-)
To pursue the thickness point a little, I - so far - intend to use 9mm. The recommendations I've read on this on quite inconsistent; everything from 9mm (min) to "definitely no less than" 18mm. From personal experience* I think the 9mm should be okay but if I get a strong indication that it's too thin I may go for 12mm. I would find 18mm too thick; add a few mm of glue and 10mm of tile and it's around 32 mm of extra height in a room with an already not-high ceiling, and it's to butt up against existing flooring that's only 18-20mm above the current surface.
*
I've done a couple of bathrooms directly onto floorboards with no extra layer. No issues in 2 years, although a bit of the grout cracked once. They're 500x10mm porcelain tiles (hard as nails) and I used flexible glue and grout. The bathrooms are small though, compared to the area I'm about to do (kitchen, hall, passage, etc).
Reply to
james.dawkins
Much depends on what surface you currently have, and whether you are replacing it with ply or laying it over the top. On 18mm or better floor boards that are well fixed down, 9mm ply is usually adequate. Screw it down well at about 6" centres.
Reply to
John Rumm
Dear James Much depends on whether you are planning on doing the ground or an upper floor
If ground - you are altering the present water dynamic equilibrium and before so doing I would check for decay and more particularly for improving the sub-floor ventilation. I would also check all wall plates are well bedded and there is no bounce
If first floor I would check the stiffness and if not particularly stiff go for a stronger board (ie thicker)
Best wishes chris
Reply to
mail

Site Timeline Threads