Paint, really stupid question

Where does silk, soft sheen, and eggshell fit into the scale of shinyness? I assume matt is at the bottom of the scale, and gloss at the top, but where do these 3 fit in?

Reply to
Grumps

You forgot...Lustre,Satin

Personaly, all other four are the same just a different wording,however eggshell is primarily a hardwearing satin.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "Grumps" contains these words:

Matt Eggshell Satin Softsheen Gloss

Though I'm not sure about the Satin and Softsheen. I suspect it's where the marketdroids put 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

Once upon a time Eggshell was Matt but oil based like gloss and so more durable than Matt Emulsion. These days 'Eggshell' doesn't seem to resemble eggshells at all and looks pretty much the same as 'soft sheen' or 'satin'. I don't think there is much difference between satin and soft-sheen especially taking into account the variations of surface and method of application.

Reply to
DJC

I've never known "eggshell" to be matt? as the name suggest to resemble the coating on an chicken egg a slight sheen.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I always used to wondered about the "eggshell", and I would have assumed it was matt but didn't mark so easily. Real eggshells are matt but hard. But some eggshell paints seem to be slightly shiny...

Suzanne

Reply to
Suz

"Suz" typed

Agreed.

Many 'eggshell' paints are *much* shinier than anything in my fridge. Some are nealy as shiny as my cycling magazines...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Yebbut - some of the things in your fridge are hairy.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King typed

Look, I haven't put David in yet...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

He'd only kick his way out.

Reply to
Guy King

When I worked at a Crown Decorator Centre it went like this:

For walls: matt, silk, mid sheen - the last has much more vinyl in it so is harder wearing, suitable for kichens, bathrooms etc, but at the expense of being shinier.

For woodwork: gloss, satinwood, the latter being nearly matt in application.

Oil based eggshell was often substituted for satinwood - for example brilliant white was available in a 1litre can in satin but not in ob eggshell. We often sold satinwood for use on radiators.

Waterbased egshell was most often used on contracts where specified by an architect. I would say that its finish was close to silk but harder.

When people asked for 'soft sheen', a Dulux term, we would sell mid sheen but then one day I came across an old tin of Dulux matt in my garage and found it described as 'soft sheen'! Didn't stop us selling mid sheen for soft sheen though.

Reply to
Peter Johnson