using a roller with waterbased quick drying satin?

Suffering from asthma, I've always liked the quick drying waterbased gloss
and satin paints from a "not nearly killing me" point - but for areas that
take a bit more wear and tear I've always until now suffered with the
normal smelly stuff which is much, much tougher and much much easier to get
a decent finish on.
However, having been impressed with the scrubability of the Dulux real life
Matt emulsions for removing kid hand prints etc it has been decided that I'll
be using the Dulux real life satin waterbased paint to do all the woodwork
in the hall, stairs and landing. This is fine for skirtings and things but
it's a real pain to get a decent finish on doors and larger areas as the
damn stuff dries so quickly!
Following some threads on here recently, I invested in some decent synthetic
brushes and yes, they are a lot better but I'm still pondering using a foam
roller to attack the doors. The tin just says apply with a brush and doesn't
mention rollers at all - has anyone on here tried it? With half decent results?
cheers,
Darren
Reply to
dmc
================================== I can't comment on the paint because I haven't used it, but a word of caution about using a roller is in order. If you haven't previously used a roller you might not be aware that foam rollers can produce quite a bit of spatter into the air which might affect your asthma. Obviously it depends on how vigorously you use the roller but it's nearly always present to some extent.
Cic.
Reply to
Cicero
You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops of paint.
Reply to
S Viemeister
In article ,
Hmmm. I've got some paint pads here actually....mebbe I'll give that a go!
I noticed this morning that wickes appear to sell 9" foam rollers now - do a door in a few strokes \o/
Darren
Reply to
dmc
In article , dmc writes
Also, keep the room you are painting cool to extend the drying time, shouldn't be a problem at this time of year.
Reply to
fred
In article ,
Ok, using Dulux Real life waterbased satin with paint pads isn't a great idea - near impossible to get any sort of decent finish (paint a bit too think maybe?).
Using a foam roller however is a *huge* improvement. It's still not as great a finish as you can get with a decent tradition high VOC paint but given the lack of fumes and the fact that I got two coats on the doors *and* they were dry by the time the kids got home makes it a winner for me \o/
Cheers,
Darren
Reply to
dmc
Hmmm. Interesting. Used a foam roller to apply gloss paint for the first time today - for about 30 seconds. Finish was appalling.
The kit included a tray, frame & 2 roller sleeves - a fluffy one for emulsion & a foam one for gloss - so sayeth the instructions.
Do foam rollers & gloss work or is it me?
Reply to
The Medway Handyman
.. >> In article , .. >> .. >>> You might consider trying a nice big pad, rather than a roller. Pads .. >>> can be just as fast as rollers, and they don't 'spray' little drops .. >>> of paint. .. >> .. >> Ok, using Dulux Real life waterbased satin with paint pads isn't a .. >> great idea - near impossible to get any sort of decent finish (paint .. >> a bit too think maybe?). .. >> .. >> Using a foam roller however is a *huge* improvement. It's still not as .. >> great a finish as you can get with a decent tradition high VOC paint .. >> but given the lack of fumes and the fact that I got two coats on the .. >> doors *and* they were dry by the time the kids got home makes it a .. >> winner for me \o/ .. > .. >Hmmm. Interesting. Used a foam roller to apply gloss paint for the first .. >time today - for about 30 seconds. Finish was appalling. .. > .. >The kit included a tray, frame & 2 roller sleeves - a fluffy one for .. >emulsion & a foam one for gloss - so sayeth the instructions. .. > .. >Do foam rollers & gloss work or is it me?
To get a nice finish after using a roller .... just quickly brush over with a wide brush ... it only takes a minute.
Mike P
Reply to
Mike P
In article ,
This wasn't gloss - it's satin finish so maybe more forgiving?
yep
For gloss I find a quick flat with a decent brush sorts it - *if it is decent smelly paint*. For waterbased stuff it just dries too fast and you get awful brush marks unless you are really really quick.
For the sating stuff the finish is a bit more forgiving - 2 or three quick coats with the foam roller and it's not bad - not up to a really flat decent gloss sure but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me :-)
Darren
Reply to
dmc

Site Timeline Threads