White matt emulsion - I need a lot - good deals?

Around 250 sq metres to do. Looking for reasonable to good quality product. Mostly going on new skim-coated plasterboard, though some on previously whitewashed old lath and plaster ceiling.

Which products are good?

Have you spotted any good deals?

Price seem to vary enormously between the no-name bulk products and the reputable names - how real is the difference here?

Reply to
dom

so 250m2 X 2coats =3D 500m2 worst case 10m2 per litre =3D50 litres

wickes 15litre pails =A330 each call it =A3100?

suggest it's not worth bothering trying to get a "deal"?

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Always had good luck with Leyland paints, some of the cheaper `bucket` paints seems to go on like millk, multi multi coats required.

Paint a bit like car polish, all the investment is really in the time, and you`ll be investing a lot more with cheap materials....

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wibbled on Wednesday 07 July 2010 13:11

Dulux Rich Matt (avoid the pink "indicator" variant) I have found really very good. Practically covers in one coat, so budget for two coats and you'll get an excellent finish IME. Handles pretty well with a decent roller (ie doesn't fly off everywhere).

I recommend a deep tray (B&Q/Wickes) for roller application, otherwise you do 2m2 and have to refill from the tub.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Leyland trade centres will do Leyland 15litre for 20-22quid and their better Johnstones brand for about 25quid. My local one is friendly and after spending a bit with them gave me a nod and a trade delivery note that should be worth 15-20% off on my next visit. IMO very well worth having a chat before spending 100 odd quid but def wait until there are no trade boys propping up the counter.

Reply to
fred

You don't need a lot really. I have a tub of Leyland matt emulsion in front of me and the coverage is

13m2 per litre depending on porosity. So you can dilute it for first coat and you should get 15m per litre. then second coat, leave it neat and get 13m, you will need 17L for first coat and 19L for second coat.

Trade centre near me does Leyland and MacPherson, both good quality paints at around £20 for 15L, 3 of these should easily do it.

On lath and plaster ceilings, use neat for both coats and you'll still have some left over.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

IME if you have a whitewashed surface, this must be sealed before you apply emulsion. Did tat once and ended up with a flaking surface which had to be scraped flat

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

The opacity is the big issues .... good paints have high levels of solids and cover much better per coat than a cheapie no brand.

I painted every room in a new build with white matt before deciding on colour.

The best out there is Leyland Contract Matt or Macpherson's Trade White ........both cheap enough if you buy in 10Litre tubs and go to a Paint Trade outlet ... certainly under £20

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Rick Hughes wrote: Macpherson's Trade White

Seconded with the Macphersons Trade. The Crown decorator centre I use say it is as good as the usual Crown trade, I agree, and it is £5 or so cheaper per 5L. I pay £13.99 for 5 L.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

The difference is *very* real. The coverage of the cheap stuff is very pathetic compared with that of decent branded (Dulux, etc.) paint. The unbranded stuff is false economy because you'll use much more of it and spend lots more time applying it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That was my conclusion.

three coats of Farrow and Ball covered ANYTHUING no matter how crappy. after 6 coats of Mumble Fart white trade I could STILL see the blemishes underneath..

Its my belief that white trade is simply used by contractors who have

- fresh even plaster and

- a spray gun

and a very light misting of 'white trade' gives the illusion that the room is painted.

It isn't, but its enough to fool a first time buyer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The 'one coat' emulsions are worth the money.

Huge.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman