Remove stains on matt water-based emulsion?

Are there any tricks or tips for getting stains off water-based emulsion painted walls? Mainly splashes from over-enthusiastic washing-up I think, or possibly instant coffee! Apparently they are all my fault and nothing to do with the wife's cooking!

I've tried water and a bit of washing up liquid (to remove them) but no joy. Assume I cannot use anything too abrasive or vigorous.

Or should I just paint over the stains with more of the same paint?

(I believe it has to be water based emulsion as it's a newly built / plastered surface.)

Thanks!

Pete

Reply to
Peter Boulton

If it's greasy then bio washing powder dissolved in some warm water works well. I wouldn't paint over it unless it is clean as the stain may prevent the paint bonding to the wall.

Reply to
Mark

As was mentioned here the other day (in a slightly different context) Magic Eraser/melamine foam blocks. Use gently - they are abrasive but are fine if not used over-zealously.

Reply to
Rod