mixing white and magnolia emulsion together

In the past, I have mixed white and magnolia together to achieve a colour that I find preferable to pure magnolia. It was roughly half-way between white and magnolia on the tonal scale. Unfortunately, I can't remember the ratio of white:magnolia. I have a feeling it was not as simple as 50:50, becasue the two different pignemts have vastly different tinting power.

Has anone done the same and can you give me an idea of the proportion of white to magnolia to get something that is darker than off-white, but conasiderably lighter than standard magnolia?

TIA

Al

Reply to
AL_n

How long is a piece of string?

Make up some very small batches using teaspoon or similar measures:

1tsp. white : 1tsp. Magnolia; 2tsp. white : 1 tsp. magnolia etc. you get the idea.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

You are already half way to the madhouse with this procedure. Even if you used exactly the same mix as before fading of the original paint in sunlight and batch to batch variation will make it very hard to match.

Beware that most paints dry to a different colour than when wet.

All you can do is make up a range of tints at known dilutions and pick the closest. Same trick works for matching old mortar in masonry.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Almost my thoughts but I would use a little larger measure. One of those little scoops that come with plant feed for instance.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Take a chip to one of the paint matching counters and get it mixed to match.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And mine, including the rhetorical question!

but I would use a little larger measure. One of those

Reply to
newshound

Sure, any proportion you like. There really is no other answer to such a vague question, and its not one that can really be unvagued. The change of colour on drying really slows things down.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Thanks, but I don;t ned to match an existing colour. I just want to mix a colour that's about half way between white and magnolia. I have a vegue recollection that usin a 50:50 mix gave surprisingly unexpected results: it was eithe too close to magnolia or too close to white; I don't remember.

No worries - I shall have to 'spearmint'! ;-)

Al

Reply to
AL_n

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I may have explaind myself badly; I'm just trying to get an idea of the approx ratio of white to magnolia I should buy to end up with a colour roughly half way between magnolia and white.

I seem to recall from past experience, that the answer is not as simple as "mix an equal amount of each" - because the tinting power of each colour is different. I have a vague I dea that last time I mixed it 50/50, it came out very close to white or very close to magnolia, but I can't recall which.

I'm just trying to avoid ending up with a surplus of one colour or the other, bearing in mind how insanely expensive paint has become these days.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

You are always better off with a factory mixed paint - since it remains more stable. Mess around and the stuff may have a reduced lifetime.

Even the shop machine mixed products have significantly worse long term stability than classic factory made paints.

In the current era of ten zillion not quite whites on offer from every maker can you not find one already on a manufacturers paint chart that is already the right lighter shade of "magnolia" that you seek?

Martin Brown

Could this be said to be an emulsional experience? :-)

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Could this be said to be an emulsional experience?

No, No, No. I'll just gloss over that joke!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

There are plenty of off white colours to choose from, just visit one of the sheds and take your pick.

Reply to
Eednud

Martin Brown wrote in news:mp5fvl$uja$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Thanks, but my rason for wanting to mix my own is because white and magnolia can both be got a great deal more cheaply than ready-mixed shades.

When I've done it in the past (even mixing different brands together) I've never experienced any problems during the few years before the room needed repainting due to natural wear and tear.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Martin Brown wrote in news:mp5fvl$uja$1

STWNFI often does this using trade white or magnolia emulsion and tester pots. Using a full tester pot to 5 litres produces some pleasant shades, and is repeatable.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

"Muddymike" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com:

Sounds like a good idea - thanks.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

As I said in your previous thread, there's no such thing as standardised magnolia, especially in budget ranges. So your starting colour is variable and your intended colour is ill-defined - too many variables to suggest anything really.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

and the opacity of each paint is liable to be unmatched... its just a question with no answer. But the OP already heard that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to AL_n, Alma wrote: Hello there, what proportion did you come up in the end as I am interested to do a mix? Thanks!

Reply to
Alma

Once again nobody seems to have read the original posting date. This time its only just over a year old, but still old. I cannot imagine the poster waiting this long for a reply. For those interested it is... . posted on July 27, 2015, 9:00 am In the past, I have mixed white and magnolia together to achieve a colour that I find preferable to pure magnolia. It was roughly half-way between white and magnolia on the tonal scale. Unfortunately, I can't remember the ratio of white:magnolia. I have a feeling it was not as simple as 50:50, becasue the two different pignemts have vastly different tinting power. Has anone done the same and can you give me an idea of the proportion of white to magnolia to get something that is darker than off-white, but conasiderably lighter than standard magnolia?

So there it is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff