Magnolia Hedge?

I wonder if anybody could be so kind as to advise me is it possible to plant a low hedge of magnolia shrubs, low growing, no more than say, 3 -

4 feet high? If it is possible, what cultivar would one recommend? And at what planting distance?

Also when is the right time to plant? Many thanks

Reply to
Andy Oxford

Hi

How about adopting an idea of bonsai? Plants cant spread their branches long when their roots dont have enough room for them. In japan, there are many ppl who dont have their own gardens at home. So many ppl grow plants here and there around their homes. However, they enjoy growing various type of plants in pots including big trees. i myself grow cherry tree in pot at my veranda.

Ono@'pot gardener' in tokyo

Reply to
Ono

Seems like a poor idea. I'm not aware of any varieties naturally that small, so they'd have to be maintained by pruning. But you tend to lose next years flowers on bits that you prune. Also, they have an open form, which is unsuitable for hedging. Also, they are expensive plants.

Reply to
echinosum

A pot size can decide the maximum height of a plant. ive found a good site:

Ono