New scientific field will study ecological importance of sounds

"If we disconnect with the sounds of nature, will we continue to respect and sustain nature?"

or

Bill who putters

Radio set to wakeup to natures soundscapes: rain, birds chirping, wind, flowing water... Now that we have soundscapes recorded humans no longer need nature.

Reply to
Nad R

I'm hard of hearing but I don't consider it a handicap. I consider it a blessing! Way too much sound pollution in the world these days. Especially when my wife is yelling at me..........LOL

WN

Reply to
EVP MAN

And round the pebbly beaches far and wide I heard the first wave of the rising tide Rush onward with uninterrupted sweep; A voice out of the silence of the deep, A sound mysteriously multiplied As of a cataract from the mountain's side, Or roar of winds upon a wooded steep. So comes to us at times, from the unknown And inaccessible solitudes of being, The rushing of the sea-tides of the soul; And inspirations, that we deem our own, Are some divine foreshadowing and foreseeing Of things beyond our reason or control.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Sound of the Sea":

Reply to
Bill who putters

Aggh! Don't talk to me about natures sounds.

I have tinnitus and I hear crickets. All the time.

I'm not sure how long I've had it but one night lying in bed during a snowfall I started thinking about how quiet snowfalls make everything. Then I started to wonder how the crickets could still be chirping in the middle of the winter.

At least I don't hear a tone. I'm sure that has to be the worst.

Reply to
despen