Brushes & quick drying water based satin

Having used this for the first time I now realize how quickly it dries.

My issue is normally with oil based or emulsions if I wanted a 20 minute break I stuck the brush in a cup of water and just brushed this out when restarting. The roller tray I coved with a damp cloth to keep it from drying.

Anyone done this with quick drying stuff, just dont want to keep washing out brushes/rollers etc everytime I have a break.

thanks

Reply to
SS

Normally one would leave the brush in the pot and the roller in the tray for short breaks. I personally hate quick drying paint, there just isn't the time to produce a decent quality job because the paint has set too quickly.

The best paint to use for quality finishing work is of the slower drying variety but this paint is hard to find, fast drying paint is ideal from a contractors point of view when there are several rooms for example that require second coating usually within the same day but this is of no use if you want to achieve the ultimate finish and wish to have every finished surface looking like it has been sprayed.

The only thing you can do with fast drying paint is to try and slow it down but this involves adding additives that can help both with water base and oil based paints, the additive for water base is Floetrol and oil base Penitrol, these will allow you more time to put the material on, even I can struggle with some paints and I can apply it very rapidly indeed.

Unfortunately we now live in a fast society and many things are made for time saving only and not quality.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I always have a couple of plastic bags handy, pop the brush/roller in, wrap tightly and it will stay soft and usable for days. In fact I forgot about a roller after an urgent phone call in my 'tea break' and didn't get back to the job for over a week. Roller was still ok and showing no signs of drying out. You can pop the tray in a separate bag too. If I know I will not be using the paint for some time I add a splash of water to cover the surface first, slows down the drying out process. John

Reply to
johno

Thanks guys, thats pretty much what I did with emulsion, just wasnt sure with this quick drying stuff.

Reply to
SS