Quick drying paint

I need to paint the outside of the front and back doors. Having missed the warm(er) weather I'm going to be struggling if I use the usual suspects as they quote drying times of 16 hours.

Anyone able to recommend a paint of reasonable quality with a reasonable drying time in the current weather?

And Management says it needs to be available in a maroon(y) red...

TIA

When I did this I secured the door almost-but-not-quite closed at night with a very large screw between the door and the frame.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I was going to give this a try until last night when I discovered that the house across the road had been broken into and the car stolen...

Back to the quest for quick drying paint then.

If you are using a gloss paint then just add some Terebine to speed up the drying process.

ste

Reply to
ste

Hi,

I'd paint the door in the morning, then once it's touch dry in the evening put a wide strip of thin polythene beween door and frame (plastic dust sheet is ideal for this)

Then shut the door overnight and the polythene will peel off OK the next morning, though ideally I'd leave it there a while longer.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks for that. Looks like Dulux Decorators' Centres do it.

How much do you use to, say, 1 litre of paint and by how much does it speed up the drying process?

You only need a cap full per litre, and it won't discolour white. Given favourable conditions Terebine can speed up paint drying by as much as 50%, but this is an estimate for using coach enamels which are specifically made to dry very slowly. Dulux will dry faster than a coach enamel so only add the recommended amount.

As you may or may not know too much drier can spoil the paint, it is recommended to only apply the correct percentage of drier when adding to paint material. An overdose of driers can undermine adhesion and damage the finish. Oil-based paint dries by oxidation as it absorbs oxygen from the air but the oxygen absorption process is considerably slow. Speeding up the absorption process is done by adding drying agents like Terebine to encourage oxidation in exacting quantities.

The surface of the paint film in direct contact with oxygen dries first and this can be increased by providing alternative pure airflow or heat.

ste

Reply to
ste

FWIW, I've used cling-film for this ...

Reply to
Huge

If starting from bare wood use cellulose car spray stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yuk. Not flexible enough for wood. The only bit you're worried about is the edge where it meets the frame. A smear of vaseline or cling film on the door stop will stop it sticking.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We used to use French chalk for this

pb

Reply to
<operative

Probably even better

Reply to
Stuart Noble

No French chalk so I'll give the cling film a try.

Talcum powder will do instead

pb

Reply to
<operative

How would you get that to stay on a vertical surface? Chalk, possibly not even French, sounds better.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Talcum powder is fine enough to just squirt it out the tub directly onto the paint, or you could use a soft makeup brush and lightly brush it on the door edge providing the paint is sufficiently touch-dry.

pb

Reply to
<paintboffin

White talcum powder & red paint: no marks later?