Subject Author Posted Replies

Decking Base-rail Infill
Just finishing off a new deck which was constructed in the summer. I am inserting the infills for the base rail (in between the balustrades) and have noticed there are some small gaps where water can...
3
3

Central heating OFF, HW OFF, but boiler OK?
Woke up to no hot water or central heating this morning, and SWMBO is not a happy bunny. Would be grateful for any thoughts as I'm stumped... System is a Worcester-Bosch 30CDi system boiler, with...
8
8

I need a cunning plan
For the last week I have been woken up by a car blasting its horn as it passes my house at around 6am. Now on Friday night I stopped at the girlfriends. At 6am on Saturday morning I was woken up by a...
32
32

Flat Layout
Is this one a good idea? Just trying to save space ;) NT Could this be the world's smallest flat? It's the kind of poky apartment estate agents might like to describe as 'cosy' rather than 'cramped'.
4
4

Removing veneer.
Any tips for removing damaged veneer from plywood prior to re-veneering? Some of it simply peeled off like well soaked wall paper. Other bits are stuck hard.
12
12

Laser levels
Been pondering, prompted by a number of things that will need to be level/plumb in the bathroom - stud, work, tiles, shower enclosure etc. etc. if a laser level would be useful enough to be worth...
8
8

Varying speed of submersible pump
Given the extortionate cost of electricity and that the fact that NPower want to double the bill in their estimates I am desperate to reduce my usage. The difficult bit is reducing the submersible...
9
9

Movable barrier to stop someone falling through loft hatch.
A friend of mine has just had some boarding put down in her loft and a new wooden loft ladder fitted. It?s a modern house with lots of trusses in th e loft. She?s worried about falling through the...
14
14

Windows 8
Started a W8 machine in a hurry to do something. Huge banner over everything saying free upgrade to 8.1. One button saying "download from App Store". No Cancel, No or don't option. Didn't want that,...
18
18

PTFE tape as a rubber ring/washer replacement..
fixing all the dripping taps..one unit (double swan neck thing in kitchen') had to be entirely removed off the two up pipes to work in. seal was a stepped collar inside a pipe with a flat end, suppose...

Soil stacks?
Horrible 'drain' smell in a en suite bathroom. Family bathroom & downstairs (below) cloak (unaffected) have boxing in the corners obviously containing the soil pipe, confirmed by being able to see the...
6
6

Almost dead computer
Any ideas? It turns on and the fan runs. There is nothing else - no bleeps - no screen. The led that shold flash when the hard drive is working is not lighting up. I suspect a duff HD but ideas are...
49
49

Fibreglass bath - crack in the gelcoat?
OK - karma's at work here. Just cleared the microwave taking out the RCD and the dishwasher dying at an inopportune moment. Just cleaned the bathroom - really good clean, so got in the bath on hands...
2
2

washing machine door
Hi, I've got a washing machine door (it's French model, "Vedette" front loader) and the door latching lever has either broken or become detached internally. I've checked the user guide but no help...
7
7

Electricity monitors
Are there any whole house (current clamp on meter tails) that are any good? In the worst case, a basic one with USB output so I can log into my database would be OK. But I'd really like one that "just...
11
11