Fibreglass bath - crack in the gelcoat?

OK - karma's at work here.

Just cleared the microwave taking out the RCD and the dishwasher dying at an inopportune moment.

Just cleaned the bathroom - really good clean, so got in the bath on hands and knees to wash walls down and get all the grout clean.

Noticed a hairline crack in the bath finish runnign vertically in line with the hot tap.

Visible for about 2-3" as a dark line. I can feel it running a finger nail over for about 8" +/-

Flexing one side moves the other. It does nto seem to be cracked right through - and that would be *unlikely* given it has heavy fibreglass mat underneath the gel coat.

Is this anything to worry about? I've not noticed it happening to other plastic baths I've had before in other houses.

Is it repairable in situ and should I?

It's only 4 years old (Bathstore.com) and I fitted it.

The bath is well supported all the way around (4x2" wall battens 3 sides) plus framing on the open side, and is one with an integal board inside the fibreglass on the base.

Cheers!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Saturday 02 November 2013 15:19 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I suppose that answers one of the questions - must be something that happens sometimes.

:-

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Saturday 02 November 2013 15:57 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Been round the back with my camera. No evidence of the crack propogating through.

A mate thinks it might even be a scratch, though I honestly cannot think what was dropped that caused a 10-12" scratch!

Anyway - to repair or not... That is the question...

Reply to
Tim Watts