repair fibreglass bath

not my night Tiling bathroom, dropped tile, corner made hole in brand new bath about the size of a penny [1] ;-( Can I fibreglass repair it? I used to make model aircraft and use clingfilm over the fibreglass while it set to get a smooth finish is this the method to go down? or buy another bath?

[1] and I was doing so well
Reply to
Vass

Why do people always damage the bath when tiling? Have you never heard of protecting it with old curtains to dampen the the drop of the tile.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

hindsight etc..

Reply to
Vass

You'd need clear casting resin, and coloured resin, to get a reasonably invisible repair. I agree that it's your best chance of repairing the thing, however can you make the repair good enough? If not... new bath time.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Well done. The OP was only feeling clumsy, now you've made him feel stupid as well.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Will your insurance cover it?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

If you paid by cr card, you may find you have some free cover for goods purchased for 60 days; check the small print of your Agreement

Reply to
Gel

I've repaired a bath with clear car repair resin before, as I couldn't afford a new bath at the time. This was a dented, delaminated and leaking spot left by my the previous house owners (shape of shower head). Did quite a good job, cling film, gel coats etc but after about a year the repair fades/dirties differently than the rest of the bath so stands out . Eventually the fibreglass around the repair started delamininating, water leaked in between and went mouldy between the laminations. My brother got a replacement for £30 from B&Q, a second that had a damaged corner. Whopped in this bath, hid damaged corner in wall, under tile and generous silicone and lasted 10 years until replaced properly with a nice deep steel bath.

Reply to
Ian_m

I've repaired a crack from below using a car-body repair kit; resin and glass-fibre matting. Mechanically, yes it worked a treat, but I can't vouch for the aesthetics as this was just a crack, and didn't show from the upper side.

David

Reply to
Lobster

checked and yes accidental cover, cheque on its way without even coming round to view sorted! thanks for the advice all.

Reply to
Vass